Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Vintage Kid's Books

Here are the books and phonics puzzle I got at the thrift store.

The puzzle is a floor puzzle and has huge pieces. I think Reece and Jacob will like it. :o)

The little Richard Scarry book will help Reece with counting, but it's the other two books I really like.



The book jacket on The Little River Of Gold is pretty ratty, but it looks perfect without the jacket.






























It was published in 1947.






I love the old fashioned illustrations. The inside covers have drawings in color, but the illustrations inside the book are black and white.








The jacket on the other book, God Gave Me Eyes, is in bad shape, but the cover underneath is not bad. The book has a copyright date of 1942.

What I love about it are the illustrations by Ellen Segner. Aren't they beautiful?

I will probably keep the book as is, but the pictures could be framed for use in a child's room.






The little verse by Olive W. Burt is lovely, too.

God gave me eyes that I might see
The wonder of a blossoming tree,
My dolly's face, my story book,
And how the various creatures look.

God gave me ears that I might hear
The laugh of brooklets ringing clear,
My kitten's purr, a violin
And Mother, when she calls me in.


God gave me a nose that I might learn
The perfume of each flower in turn,
Of fragrant foods prepared to eat,
The dusty smell of new cut wheat.

God gave a tongue that I might know
The flavor of all fruits that grow,
The taste of honey from the bee,
And good things Mother cooks for me.

God gave me a sense of touch that I
Might do my work, feel wind pass by,
Might know the sun's caressing heat
And dusty roads beneath my feet.

I thank You, God, for making me
So that I hear and feel and see;
And since these dear gifts came from You
I'll use them as You'd want me to.

No comments: