Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rest In Peace, Father Neuhaus

Father Richard John Neuhaus died this morning after suffering from severe side effects from the cancer he battled. He was the founder of the Catholic magazine First Things, and was a Missouri Synod Lutheran pastor for 30 years of his life, following in the footsteps of his father. Fr. Neuhaus converted to Catholicism in the '90s and has been one of the most influential spiritual leaders of our time.

Here is a wonderful article by Fr. Neuhaus, explaining his conversion to his Lutheran colleagues and friends.

In a very simple way, I identify with Fr. Neuhaus since we were also Missouri Synod Lutherans before converting. Like him, I loved the Lutheran church and feel that my conversion to Catholicism was the next step in my journey of faith.

Fr. Neuhaus asked himself the question, "Why are you not Roman Catholic?" for thirty years, and he says that he "...finally ran out of answers that were convincing either to me or to others."

At the end of his article, Fr. Neuhaus says, "To those of you with whom I have traveled in the past, know that we travel together still. In the mystery of Christ and his Church nothing is lost, and the broken will be mended. If, as I am persuaded, my communion with Christ’s Church is now the fuller, then it follows that my unity with all who are in Christ is now the stronger. We travel together still." That sums up my feelings exactly. Thank you, Father.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and may the perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

1 comment:

Sarah - Kala said...

Precisely.

I was just getting to know this man - I have First Things. I got the lastest issue yesterday and read his final comments - he wrote about his cancer and the probability this would be his last, but . . .

Ah, the man lived HOPE!!