Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fifth Sunday After Easter

The Church continues to exalt the risen Christ and exhorts us to unite with her in prayer.
The Roman Missal, 1962

Collect for today:
O God, from whom all good things do come, grant to us Thy suppliants, that by Thine inspiration we may think what is right, and under Thy guidance perform it. Through our Lord Jesus Christ who liveth and reigneth with Thee and Thy Holy Ghost, One God forever.
Amen

Today's Gospel is from St. John 16. 23-30:
At that time Jesus saith to his disciples: Amen, amen, I say to you: If you ask the Father any thing in My Name, He will give it you. Hitherto you have not asked any thing in My Name: Ask, and you shall receive, that your joy may be full. These things I have spoken to you in proverbs. The hour cometh when I will no more speak to you in proverbs, but will show you plainly of the Father. In that day you shall ask in My Name: and I say not to you that I will ask the Father for you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came out from God. I came forth from the Father and am come into the world; again I leave the world and I go to the Father.

His disciples say to Him: Behold, now Thou speakest plainly and speakest no proverb. Now we know that Thou knowest all things and Thou needest not that any man should ask Thee: by this we believe that Thou camest forth from God.

Jesus is speaking more and more plainly to his Apostles, so that they will be prepared to lead the Church after He goes to the Father. Here He makes clear where He came from and to whom He shall return. May we always be able to tell Him with the Apostles, "we believe that you came forth from God."

No comments: