Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Beautiful Day

Hope you had a beautiful Mother's Day, too!

Ron and I picked up Mom and Sandi for Mass this morning. I love it that Sandi thinks the TLM is beautiful, and that she loves Father Kloster's sermons as much as I do. :o) (He has explained that he usually gives sermons, not homilies--homilies being a talk about the Scripture text for the day, sermons being more of a lesson on Church teaching, morality, etc. I hope I'm understanding that correctly).

His sermon today concerned possession--partial possession and total possession--and how dangerous and devious the devil is in attacking people. He said that mothers, with their tender hearts and total love for their children, play such an important role in keeping evil from those they love, through their prayers and guidance.

I had never heard any priest talk about possession or exorcism at Mass before. After Mass Sandi mentioned with a smile that Father sure didn't like losing some of the Holy Days (he had mentioned that we would have Mass on Thursday for the Ascension of our Lord, even though our diocese does not consider it a holy day of obligation any longer). I told her that he always speaks his mind, and that not many priests would think it was important or speak about it at Mass like Father. She laughed and said she doubts that many priests would talk about possession and exorcism at Mass, either. We all laughed about that and agreed. We are so glad to have a priest who is not afraid to say what's what, even if it makes us a little uneasy or uncomfortable.

In the afternoon we had a cookout at our house. Mom and Sandi, Josh, Cyrise, Reece and Aubrey, and Kelly and Mike were here. Ron grilled chicken, I made a big pot of rice, Kelly brought a salad, and we roasted poblano peppers, green peppers and sweet onions on the grill. Some of us had chocolate chip ice cream cones for dessert. :o)

Sandi (who is a beauty school dropout) :o) had her scissors with her and gave Aubrey her first hair cut. Aubrey looks so cute!

We had a little gift exchange. The pretty gardenia in the top picture was a gift from Ron; I love gardenias. And look at my pink angel trumpets! They bloomed today, just in time for mother's day. :o) There's a bunch of blooms--more than the picture shows.

Sandi and I made a quick trip to Costco before she headed for home. After everyone left, I drove Mom home. Teddy was glad to see us; he was home alone all afternoon. I stayed at her place long enough to take a walk with her and Teddy, make her coffee for tomorrow, write on her white board and fill the hummingbird feeder, then I came home. I'm happy tired.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I wish we had more priests like that!