Saturday, March 28, 2009

Teddy The Escape Artist

Ron put a chicken wire barrier on Mom's patio today, to keep Teddy from slipping through the bars and escaping. When it was finished, Teddy came out and looked all around for a way to get out. :o)

Yesterday Mom's neighbor gave me some lovely window boxes, and I was carrying them from Mom's apartment to my car. Mom wanted to help, and while she was trying to take some out her front door, Teddy ran out. He was off down the hallway like a shot. He can really run fast for such a little dog! I put down the boxes I was carrying and tore out after him. You have never seen an old lady run so fast. :o) When he reached the far end of Mom's apartment building, he paused to smell the grass, and I grabbed him. I scolded him as I carried him back. I took him inside and sat down, and told him to never do that again. Then I put him down and he immediately hid behind Mom's legs. :o)

I put a note on Mom's door the first day we brought him home, saying DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR UNLESS TEDDY IS ON HIS LEASH because I could see that he likes to run away. Of course she forgets. Mom would never be able to catch him if he runs out like he did yesterday. He is too quick. That's probably why he was a stray.

I was so excited for Reece to meet Teddy, but the meeting went wrong from the start. I told Reece that Gran had a new dog, that his name was Teddy and he was very cute, so Reece was looking forward to seeing him. When we got there, Teddy was so excited that he jumped up on Reece the second he walked through the door. It surprised Reece, and he shrieked and tried to get away, and Teddy thought it was play time and chased him. The whole time we were there, Reece was wary of the dog and tried to stay away from him. I'm sure he will get used to him and stop being afraid (I hope).

I didn't sleep well last night, so after dropping Reece at his house, we came home and I took a long nap.

1 comment:

Sarah - Kala said...

What a cute pup!
My Holly is FAST, too. She's learning not to dart through the door when we go in and out now, though. It takes time to get them to stop. Good luck!