Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sad Tonight

We had to admit Chuy to the emergency animal hospital this evening. :o( After an exam and some blood tests, the vet told us that he has a liver infection, as well as an infection around one of his teeth. He said the liver infection could have been caused by any number of things. Chuy was also dehydrated, and the vet said it would be best to leave him overnight so that they could put him on an IV. They can also administer antibiotics through the IV.

Mom was very upset. I had to ask the vet to come back and talk to her again because she was determined to take him home. I asked the vet what it would entail if we treated him at home, and he said that we would need to give him Pedialite every half hour, and his antibiotics. He said that he might not be able to keep anything down. He said that Chuy is very sick, and really needed to be in the hospital. Mom finally agreed, but she was distraught.

I really wanted her to spend the night at our house, but she wouldn't. I told her that we would go to see Chuy in the morning. I hope that he will be much improved. If he's well enough, we may be able to take him home, and then to his regular vet on Monday. But truthfully, I expect he will stay there for a couple of days. :o(

If you have a few seconds, would you please send up a prayer for Chuy (maybe ask St. Francis for his intercession?) and especially for my mom, that she would feel peaceful and calm about all of this. Thank you!

4 comments:

Linda said...

I will pray. In reading, I can see how important Chuy is to your mom.
peace,
Linda

Kalona said...

Linda, thank you so much for your prayers!

Therese said...

I am so sorry to read this news Kalona.

I will say a prayer for your mom and that Chuy can come home tomorrow.

Kalona said...

Thank you, Therese! Chuy didn't get to come home today, but maybe in a couple more days. He's still pretty sick. :o(