Sunday, March 29, 2009

Passion Sunday

Today, the Fifth Sunday of Lent is Passion Sunday in the Traditional Roman Liturgy.

"If he who is of God hears the word of God, and he who is not of God cannot hear His words, then let each one ask himself: "Do I take the words of God to heart?" (St. Gregory the Great, Hom. 18)

From This day until Maundy Thursday, in Masses of the Season the Psalm, Judica me..., is omitted on Sundays and Ferias, as also the Gloria Patri at the Introit and at the Lavabo; but on Feasts they are said as usual.
The Roman Missal, 1962

The Gospel for today is St. John 8. 46-59, in which Jesus, speaking to a multitude of the Jews, declares to them that "...before Abraham was made, I am." They were ready to stone him, but he hid himself and went out of the temple.

Since last Sunday, when Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes, the Gospel readings for each day of the week have shown Him performing miracles and proclaiming to the Jews who He is, but they do not believe Him.

In last Monday's Gospel, He drives the moneychangers from the temple and speaks of His body as the Temple which He would raise up again in three days.

On Tuesday, He teaches in the temple with authority, but is unable to convince them that God the Father has sent Him; He has to slip away when they try to apprehend Him.

On Wednesday the Gospel tells of how Jesus healed the man blind from birth, and Thursday's Gospel shows Him in Naim, bringing a young man back to life.

Friday's Gospel tells of how Jesus brought Lazarus back from the dead.

In yesterday's Gospel, Jesus tells the Jews that He is the Light of the world, and again they disbelieve. He tells them, "Neither Me do you know, nor My Father; if you did know Me, perhaps you would know My Father also." And again they cannot lay hands on Him because His hour was not yet come.

Let us pray the Judica me, Psalm 42, today, that we may be among the holy ones, those who know Jesus, and because we know Him, know God.

Judge me, O God, and distinguish my cause from the nation that is not holy: deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man; for Thou art God my strength.

(Ps. ibid. 3.) Send forth Thy light, and Thy truth; they have conducted me, and brought me unto Thy holy hill, and into Thy tabernacles.

Judge me, O God, and distinguish my cause from the nation that is not holy: deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man: for Thou art God my strength.


Amen

No comments: