Monday, July 12, 2010

The Fourteen Holy Helpers

The Feast of the Fourteen Holy Helpers used to be on August 8, but was suppressed with the calendar changes of 1969. The Saints included were thought to be effective against various diseases, particularly during the bubonic plague.

The Fourteen Holy Helpers:

St. George, Martyr, April 23
St. Blaise, Bishop and Martyr, February 3
St. Pantaleon, Martyr, July 27
St. Vitus, Martyr, June 15
St. Erasmus (Elmo), Bishop and Martyr, June 2
St. Christopher, Martyr, July 25
St. Giles, Abbot, September 1
St. Cyriacus (Cyriac), Martyr, August 8
St. Achatius, Martyr, May 8
St. Dionysius (Denis), Bishop and Martyr, October 9
St. Eustachius (Eustace), Martyr, September 20
St. Catherine of Alexandria, Virgin and Martyr, November 25
St. Margaret of Antioch, Virgin and Martyr, July 20
St. Barbara, Virgin and Martyr, December 4

I loved looking at the picture of the Holy Helpers at Mass yesterday. I especially liked seeing the objects that they are holding in their hands, which are associated with each Saint. For example, St. Blaise is holding crossed candles, St. George the head of a dragon. It made me want to learn more about each of them.

I'm grateful that I can ask this wonderful group of Saints, who are in Heaven and close to God, to intercede for me as I battle the cancer. Thank you, Holy Helpers!

By the way, I read somewhere online that the lullaby about the fourteen angels around the bed is in reference to the Fourteen Holy Helpers. I've always loved that lullaby. Turn off my playlist music to listen:



No comments: