Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Virtual Cookie Swap

Joann at The Creamer Chronicles is hosting a Virtual Cookie Swap on Friday, December 5. Please join in. I love to find new cookie recipes. Here are Joanns's instructions:

During the week, gather your favorite family cookie recipes and post them on your blog. Visit back on Friday and post the link to your blog (I'll have "Mr. Linky" up and running by then!) and we'll all share in a virtual cookie swap for the holidays!
Don't have a blog? No problem! Just post your recipe in the comments section!
See you Friday! (and by all means, copy the picture tag above and paste on your blog to tell others!)

And here's my first cookie recipe. It's one my children always loved to make.

No-Bake Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 C cocoa
1/2 C milk
2 C sugar
1/2 C butter
1/2 C chunky peanut butter
1 t vanilla
3 C oatmeal, uncooked

In saucepan combine sugar, cocoa, milk and butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until it is melted. Add the vanilla and oatmeal, mixing well. Quickly drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets and allow to cool. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen

Here's another one.

White House Sugar Cookies

1/2 C sugar
1/2 C butter, softened, unsalted
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
2 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 t salt
2 t baking powder

Combine sugar and butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and blend.

Sift flour, salt and baking powder and add. Mix until a dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight before using.

Roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/4" thick. Cut out desired Christmas shapes. Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheets, or grease baking sheet if no paper is available.

Bake at 350°F for about 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Baking times depend on the oven. Rotate baking sheet halfway through the baking time. Do not over-bake or cookies will get too hard. These cookies should be soft.

Let cookies cool completely before decorating.

White House Sugar Cookie Icing

2 egg whites from large eggs (Or you can use powdered egg whites).
4 to 6 C powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t lemon juice
liquid food color, as desired

Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Sift powdered sugar. Gradually add sugar as mixer is running on low speed. May require a little more or less sugar depending on size of egg whites used. Add lemon juice and vanilla and blend well.

Decorate cookies as you wish. (For a quick way to decorate cookies without using the icing, brush cookies with a slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle cookies with colored sugar(s) before baking).

Makes 2 to 3 dozen, depending on size of cookie cutters.

7 comments:

Rosemary said...

I have WANTED one of those no-bake cookie recipes! Thank you. (btw, I've tagged you.)

Kalona said...

I wasn't sure whether to post that recipe, Rosemary, since it isn't a traditional Christmas cookie. Now I'm glad I did. I guess it was meant for you. :o)

JoAnnC. said...

Those both sound great! I love no-bake cookies as well but have never found a winner....these look like winners! Will definitely be trying those! Thanks for posting!

Linda said...

Thank you for the sugar cookie. I was thinking about that this morning, as I will be enjoying my niece's children here with my own children for a Christmas prep party and I needed a good recipe for the children.

Kalona said...

Ack! Y'all, I just noticed I left out the flour and salt in the sugar cookie recipe. If you copied it, please correct. The ingredients should be:

1/2 C sugar
1/2 C butter, softened, unsalted
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
2 ½ C all purpose flour
1 t salt
2 t baking powder

I'm so sorry!

Judy said...

Mmmm....I use the same no bake recipe too! Those are delicious. I often make them on new year's eve and will set them outside to set.

Kalona said...

Gopher Mommy, aren't those no-bakes yummy? Good idea to put them outside to set. I like just about anything with oatmeal.