Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Cactus Surprise

Even my Christmas cactus knows it is Advent. I bought this small cactus last year. It was blooming when I bought it, but the blooms were small and pink.

The plant sits on the kitchen counter near the sink and window. Around Thanksgiving, I noticed some buds, like this one.


Now it is blooming like crazy, and the blossoms are much bigger than they were last year. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a different plant!












The blossoms hang down, which looks pretty, but you can't get a good view of the "face." So I held it up to take its picture. :o) I think it is interesting that they are double blooms. See the second set of petals behind the first one?

I've been pulling things out of my "Christmas closet," and the blooming cactus is just another little Christmas delight. It's always fun to discover Christmas treasures again, year after year.

3 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

who knew those could bloom so beautifully? Wow.

Kalona said...

Sarah, I know! I was so surprised to see such big blooms. I love it!

Linda said...

Oh what do you do? My mother had the most beautiful Christmas cactus with huge DOUBLE blossoms. She left it with me when she died and it looks pathetic! Barely alive! I kill plants. sigh.