Saturday, December 20, 2008

Away In A Manger

I love nativity sets, and when I found this one at the thrift store last year, I had to buy it. It's an advent wreath, and came with the faded, taped candles. :o) I think it is unusual because all the figures are facing outward, and the only ones looking at Baby Jesus are Mary and Joseph.




The figures sit in indentations on those pieces of the circle. It was like working a puzzle to fit the arcs together to form the circle. I wonder if there is more to the set? It doesn't say anything on the bottom except "made in China." The figures are quite detailed.


I've had this one for years. It's missing Baby Jesus and one of the Wise Men. The Wise Man is around somewhere; Reece likes to play with him. The Baby Jesus is lost forever. I had the set on the wooden part of the stair landing one year, and our black lab ran up the stairs, saw the set and lapped up Jesus with his tongue and swallowed him before I could do anything. I yelled out, "Oh Chooch, you ate the Lord!," which caused a lot of laughter. :o)



This little glass set was gift from a few years ago. I think it looks like ice.

I hadn't planned to have a collection of nativities, but I like the idea. :o)

3 comments:

H F J said...

My mother collects nativitie sets... I use it as an excuse to buy her just about anything with the Holy Family I can find. ;-)

I really love the advent wreath set you have. Very interesting, and pretty.

Sarah - Kala said...

I have one that my FIL bought his mother and my husband got it when his grandmother passed away. Rick had purchased it in Italy. It sits on a shelf by my bed all year long. My girlfriend's mom bought me a statue of the Holy Family (nativity -ish), but the one from my husband's dad is the only one we have. Some day when I find the right one, I'll get it. I just haven't found one that says to me "buy me, please". Yet.

Yours are lovely and even though it's sad your dog ate Jesus, at least it is kinda funny, too.

Kalona said...

Lilder, I'm sure your mom loves all of the Holy Family gifts you give her. Thanks, I wish I knew more about that advent nativity.

Sarah, the two small nativities are on our bookshelves in the upstairs hallway all year, too. I moved them downstairs for Christmas. :o) I think it would be very special to have one that belonged to my parents or my husband's parents, but as far as I know they didn't have one.

Yeah, that nativity always reminds me of Chooch (his name means "Boy" in Cherokee, although that's not how it's spelled in Cherokee). He died a few years ago around Thanksgiving. I still miss that big goofy dog.