Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'm Radioactive.

I went to have my thyroid uptake scan done this morning. They gave me a little radioactive iodine capsule. The iodine will go through my bloodstream and into the thyroid. Tomorrow they will read the scan to see how much iodine is in my thyroid, and that will determine my treatment.

The number one cause of hyperthyroidism is Grave's Disease, but the doctors suspect that mine is caused by the multiple nodules on the thyroid (the number two cause). They don't know for sure, though. I'll be so glad when this is all settled.

After the thyroid scan appointment, I had an appointment with the audiologist to have my hearing tested. It was pretty much normal. The audiologist and I are about the same age, and he wanted to know if I been exposed to any loud noises in the past, like loud music or concerts. :o) He also has tinnitus, and said that mine might be caused by a "double whammy" of diabetes and hyperthyroidism. He said I need to be careful to keep both well controlled. Getting old is a pain in the butt.

I have Reece and Aubrey this afternoon while their mommy works. Aubrey is happily chewing on a plastic bangle bracelet, but Reece is trashing my nice clean office, so I'd better get off the computer. When he wants me to do something he takes my hand and says, "Whadda you want?" :o)

Oh, and guess what! Aubrey (6 months old) can say "dada," and she knows what she is saying. She says it whenever she sees Josh. She also says "Hi." Yeah, she's a genius. :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to intrude on your situation but I was wondering what your Thyroid Receptor Antibody (sometimes called TRAb or TSI {not to be confused with TPOAb or TgAb}) results were to confirm you were a "hot nodule" hyperthyroid patient? GD is probably 90% driven by antibodies, so it would not be unheard of that you're Hyperthyroid without antibodies but if you feel like sharing that information I would like to know.
Jeff

Kalona said...

Hi Jeff, you're not intruding at all. The uptake scan was read yesterday, and the lab will send the results to my endocrinologist. I won't know anything until I see her. I'm brand new at this, so I don't know anything about TRAb, TSI, TPOAb or TgAB yet. I'll be glad to share what the doctor tells me when I know, though. Thanks for commenting. :o)