Thursday, December 18, 2008

O Christmas Tree!

No, not one of the O Antiphons. :o)

Kelly, Cyrise, Reece and Aubrey were here this afternoon, helping me decorate our new Christmas tree. It was fun!

I didn't realize how hard it is to take a picture of a lit up tree at night and get a focused picture, so that will have to wait until I have some daylight. But here are a few of some of my favorites ornaments.

The vintage star tree topper belonged to my mom and dad, and was used on our Christmas trees every year when I was a kid. It's pretty old and beat up, but I still treasure it.







I love this little snowman, swinging from his trapeze. We got this for one of the kids back in the '80s.












In the '70s, when my oldest son was about 3 or 4 years old, I bought an ornament kit and painted a whole set of little wooden ornaments. Jason had fun helping me. They decorated the Christmas trees in the first little house that we owned.




I got this one when we lived in Hawaii. It's a miniature 'uli 'uli, a feather gourd rattle used in hula dancing. Love it!

Most of our ornaments have been collected over the years from all the different places we've lived. I enjoy discovering them again each year, and remembering all of the places we've been and the friends we had in each place. Our Christmas trees are always old fashioned. They are little reflections of our lives.

Great memories. :o)

2 comments:

JoAnnC. said...

I have those very same painted wooden ornaments! My mother painted them and they are so dear to me every year when I hang them on the tree! I literally hollered out loud when I saw your picture!

Kalona said...

JoAnn, your post delighted me! I'm probably about the same age your mom would be; we may have painted those ornaments around the same time. I hope that someday mine will be treasured by my children, as well.