Monday, December 21, 2009

A Simple Woman's Daybook

Outside my window...
blue,blue skies, sunshine, sharp shadows on the ground. It's cold--36°, but will warm up into the 60s.

I am thankful...
for all my blessings.

I am wearing...
black stretchy pants, long-sleeved black v-neck tee shirt, gold hoop earrings.

I am remembering...
it's been one week since the puppies had their surgery, and they have to go back sometime this week to have their stitches removed. They are doing great. You never would know they had recent surgery.

I am going...
to the BAMC pharmacy. I was there on Friday for over 2 hours and still didn't get my prescriptions. I finally had to leave in order to be home for a delivery at 1 PM. So frustrating! I'll try again today and I'm taking along a lot of patience and a book!

I am reading...
Started one of the books Jason left for us to read, Whatever Happened To Penny Candy (love the title) by Richard J. Maybury.

On my mind...
trying to stay calm and serene, but thinking of all that I want to do before Christmas.

From the learning rooms...
nothing formal until after Christmas, but it's wonderful to watch how the children are constantly learning with no effort at all.

Pondering these words...
"Do you object to the prayer of the Holy Rosary, feeling that the invocations are repetitious? Yes, it is like the manna that fell upon the sand in the desert. The Hebrews became bored with it for the very same reason you point out...every day the same manna, insipid and monotonous. And yet, it sustained their lives!" Venerable Pauline Jaricot, January 1846

From the kitchen...
Tea and cereal with peaches for breakfast.

Around the house...
Many packages to wrap.

One of my favorite things...
the smell of wood smoke.

From my picture album...


From Tasha Tudor's Old-Fashioned Gifts:

Toffee Bar Cookies

Ingredients
1 C butter
1 C light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 C sifted flour
12 ounce package chocolate chips
chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350°. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg yolk and sifted flour. Mix thoroughly. Spread the dough on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove the dough from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. return to the oven for a minute or two, or until the chocolate chips have melted. Take the baked cookie sheet out of the oven and spread the melted chocolate over it. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Cut the sheet into squares while it is still warm.

Please visit Peggy's site to read other Christmas week daybooks.

Breathe deep, stay away from the frenzy, and focus on what is important. Christ is coming! We are celebrating Him, and that is what matters most.

1 comment:

Snuffygirl5 said...

I enjoyed your daybook and hope you have a Merry Christmas!