Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Christmas Survey

I found this fun survey at a new-to-me blog, Bears In Exile. Thank you, Mama Bear! Readers, if you would like to do it, feel free to copy and paste.

About the TREE....

1.When do you put up the Christmas tree?

Around the middle of December.

2. Real or fake?

Artificial because of Ron's allergies.

3. Lights? What color?

White lights. I like colored lights better, but when we bought the new tree last year, the one we wanted only came with white lights. They look pretty, and I put colored lights and garland on the stair railings, so we have the best of both worlds. :o)

4. Garland?

Not on the tree, but on the stairs.

5. Theme or no theme?

No theme.

6. What kind of topper?

A vintage Christmas star that belonged to my parents when I was a kid.

7. What's your favorite ornament?

I love them all. We've collected them throughout our 40 year marriage--some the kids made, some we bought for them, some were gifts from loved ones, some I bought just because. I can't choose a favorite.

8. What does your tree skirt look like?

Red and green plaid.

9. Where do you put your tree?

Sometimes in the family room, sometimes in the living room. This year it's in the living room, near the foyer. I like having it right there when we walk in the door.

10. Who decorates the tree?

Sometimes I do it by myself, sometimes with my daughter or mom or grandkids. My husband put the tree up last weekend. It's pre-lit, so the lights are on it. But we will decorate it Tuesday night when our little grandson comes to spend the night.

11.What's "under" the tree?

Right now, just the cat. :o)

12. Do you put candy canes on your tree?

Usually, for the grandkids.


About the FOODS....

1. What's your favorite Christmas cookie?

Snickerdoodles and shortbread.

2. Do you bake cookies and give them away?

Yes.

3. Any "special" foods or candy that you only have at Christmas time?

Marshmallow fudge.

4. What do you eat Christmas EVE?

Irish potato soup and rosemary bread.

5. What do you eat on Christmas day?

Since we have the traditional turkey dinner for Thanksgiving and ham for Easter, we like to have different feasts for Christmas. We've had steaks, prime rib, and even lasagna. I haven't decided what we will have yet this year.

6. Do you like Eggnog?

Not so much. I'd rather have hot chocolate, with or without Kahlua.

7. Do you like candy canes?

Yes, I do. I've always like peppermint.


About the Decorations...

1. Where do you hang your stockings?

On the fireplace mantel. My daughter and I made our stockings years ago. They are just simple sock shapes made of plaid, little prints, stripes--all in shades of red and green. There are about 15 of them, and they look so pretty hanging side by side.

2. Do you put lights on your house?

Sometimes. Ron usually puts colored lights along the front edge of the house, in the hedges and bushes, and wraps the tree trunks in white lights. Right now we have electric candles in all the upstairs windows that face the street. It's simple, but looks really pretty.

3. Got any outside lawn decorations?

We have a deer wrapped in white lights, but haven't put it out in a few years.

4. Do you put up a nativity (creche)?

Oh yes. We have several. None outside, though.

5. Do you hang mistletoe over the door?

Sometimes.

6. Got a wreath on your front door?

It's on the porch wall next to the door because the door is mostly glass.

7. How long does it take you to decorate?

Because we celebrate Advent before Christmas, we decorate a little at a time. First the Advent wreath, then we add the nativities, decorate the stairs, hang the wreaths, decorate the mantel, put up the tree with lights only, decorating it about a week before Christmas. It takes about three weeks.


About the movies/shows...

1. Favorite Children's Xmas TV show/cartoon?

When I was a kid, I liked Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman.

2. Wonderful Life/Miracle on 34th St/A Christmas Carol (Scrooge).

All of the above.

3. Favorite Christmas movie?

Ron loves to watch Home Alone. I like A Christmas Story because it always reminds me of my dad. And I like to watch It's A Wonderful Life every few years.

4. Have you ever seen the Nutcracker Suite Ballet live?

No.

5. Ever been to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas show?

No, but I'd like to go!

6. Ever gone to the movies on Xmas Day?

No.


Other Christmas things....

1. Favorite Christmas book or story?

The story of Christ's birth from Luke.

2. Do you stuff your stockings with any types of food? For the fur kids?

We always got an apple, an orange, mixed nuts in the shell and ribbon candy when we were kids, because that's what our parents got when they were kids. We continued the tradition with our kids, except for using different kinds of candy, and we do the same with our grandkids.

This will be the first year we've had the puppies, Sister and Katy, for Christmas. I don't have stockings for them, but they will get a special Christmas treat.

3. Do you go to church on Christmas or Christmas Eve?

We usually go to midnight Mass. If we don't go to midnight Mass, we go on Christmas day.

4. Have you ever gone Caroling? Yes, but it's been years.

5. Favorite Christmas Carol?

Silent Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Do You Hear What I Hear, What Child Is This? I can't pick just one!

6. Do you believe in Santa?

I believe in Saint Nicholas. :o)

7. Do you leave Santa cookies?

Yes we do.

8. What about Rudolph?

Sure, why not?

9. What was your best Christmas gift?

When I was little my aunt gave me a big story book with a shiny, colorful cover. I loved to read and have never forgotten that beautiful book.

When I was 12 or 13, my parents gave me a record player and two 45 rpm records--one was an Elvis record (Teddy Bear and Love Me Tender), the other was Toyland and March of the Toys. I played those records over and over, and used that record player through my teen years.

Early in our marriage, my husband gave me a pair of sapphire earrings. He had them sent to our neighbor, my best friend Becky, to keep them a secret from me. She didn't know who had sent them to her until he called to ask if they had arrived. :o)

10. What was the worst/most odd gift?

My aunt always gave my sister and me panties for Christmas. :o) We didn't mind--we needed them.

11. Do you go to a "work" Christmas party?

Sometimes one or another of my husband's co-workers invites us to a party, but not every year.

12. Do you hate going?

I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either. I don't really know the people.

13. Do you send Christmas cards?

Yes, but only a few. I also send Christmas ecards.

14. Do you make a "list"?

Oh yes. If I didn't, I'd forget something.

15. Do you check it twice? & thrice?

Yes, at least twice or thrice, probably more.

16.When do you start shopping?

I always think I'll shop all year long, but in reality, I wind up starting after Thanksgiving. Sometimes I'll have a few items before that.

17.Do you shop on Black Friday?

No.

18. Are you ready for Christmas?

I'm looking forward to it, but right now I'm enjoying the beautiful Advent season, anticipating the coming of our Lord. We will celebrate Christmas from December 25 until Epiphany, January 6.

Happy Advent!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is an interesting questionnaire:-)

Here is a Nativity ecard that you may like to check out.

Here is a artistic Christmas ecard that is free to send!

-MM

Kalona said...

Those are beautiful cards, MM. Thank you for sharing the links, and for visiting my site.

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing. No suprise, but we have a lot in common there!