Monday, November 16, 2009

A Simple Woman's Daybook

November 16, 2009

Outside my window...
a cold front came through in the middle of the night. This morning is crisp and blue and windy.

I am thinking...
is today the day the Orkin man comes? (Nope, tomorrow).

I am thankful...
that the Orkin man doesn't come until tomorrow.

I am wearing...
black yoga pants, a gray tee shirt and a tan zip-up hoodie, no shoes but my feet are cold so I need to put on some socks.

I am remembering...
standing on a pontoon boat on Tablerock Lake holding my dad's hand as we looked at how beautiful the lake and everything around us was, the summer before he died. Bittersweet memory.

I am going...
Ron and I drove to the airport this morning during rush hour. I made him drive, but then wished I hadn't because he's an impatient driver in traffic. Came home and fed the puppies. Will go to Mom's in a little bit, then run some errands.

I am reading...
The Crafter's Pattern Sourcebook by Mary McCarthy. There's not a lot to read, but there are "1,001 classic motifs from around the world and through the ages" to look at. I'm choosing different patterns to copy for future crafts. You can use them for beading, painting, embroidery, knitting--any number of things. Very cool.

On my mind...
things I want to get done this week while Ron is gone, and before Thanksgiving week when we will have a house full of grandchildren. :o)

From the learning rooms...
a bit more on "time," since we didn't get as much done as I had hoped last week. It was easier when I just had Reece two nights a week. Now that I have both him and Aubrey on Friday, we don't get to our lessons. She is high maintenance. :o)

Noticing that...
I still need a haircut.

Pondering these words...
Here comes the orator! With his flood of words and his drop of reason.
(Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1735)

Can you guess who I might be thinking of when I read these words? :o)

From the kitchen...
Cinnamon Eggo frozen waffles for breakfast. Not bad.

Around the house...
Vacuuming and mopping floors is on my agenda today.

One of my favorite things...
cowboys driving old pickup trucks.

From my picture album...
Here are the earrings I made this weekend, using the brass findings I got at Hobby Lobby.

I like the green "pearl" ones best. I think they look like some kind of winter berry, with their little leafy bead caps. At first I tried them without the red accent beads, but adding the bit of red really sets them off.

The chandeliers are blingy and swingy. The green beads are Swarovski crystals, which have a lot of sparkle.

Both sets of earrings seem Christmas-y because of the green and red colors, but I think they can be worn year round.

I love making earrings. They are almost instant gratification. Fast, easy and fun!

Visit Peggy's site to read other daybooks or to join in the fun yourself.

2 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

Very nice earrings. ;)

Hope you have a lovely week. Sorry your hubby isn't around much. I know it's likely Chief will have a job (after the military) that takes him away often as well. Hmmmmm.

Kalona said...

Thanks, Sarah!

I'm pretty independent, but I do miss having Ron around when he's gone for weeks at a time as he has been lately. I'm so used to having a lot of time on my own that its going to be a big adjustment when he finally retires and is underfoot all the time. :o)