Thursday, November 12, 2009

Busy Day and Lost Keys

I spent most of the afternoon today running around. There were stops at the drugstore for Mom's meds, PetSmart for food for the puppies, a bead store for advice on a clasp for the red necklace, Hobby Lobby to pick up an S-hook clasp (they were out of them at the bead store).

Oh, and I found some pretty brass findings I'm going to use to make some earrings. And I got each of the grandkids a little Christmas ornament. I'll give them to them at Thanksgiving so that they can hang them on their Christmas trees this year. Fun! And 50% off! I love Hobby Lobby.

Then I went to the grocery store where I proceeded to lose the keys to the truck. :o( I paid for my groceries and started out, digging in my purse for the keys. Hmm. Nowhere to be found. I sat on a bench inside the store and emptied out my entire purse. No keys. I went to customer service. No one had turned them in. I went back to the cashier who checked me out. I asked if she had found any keys. She and the bag girl looked at each other with big eyes and said, "The lady in white!" I said, "Huh?" They said they had found the keys on the little shelf where the credit card machine is, and asked if they were hers. She took them!

The bag girl said she would run and see if she could find her. She headed out the opposite door from where I came in, and I followed her with my cart, praying that someone had not taken off with my keys. The girl was not in sight when I got to the parking lot and I was standing there looking forlorn, I guess. A nice lady said to me, "I bet you forgot where you parked your car." I said, "No, even worse. I lost my truck keys and the cashier gave them to someone else." The lady said, "Oh no! It's always something, isn't it?" I agreed that it is indeed always something. (My mantra).

A minute later the bag girl walked up behind me and said, "Are these your keys?" I looked at them and said, "Oh, thank God!" I asked her if the lady had realized they were not her keys, and she said that when she caught up with her she asked if she was sure they were her keys, and the lady said, "No, they are not mine. Did the lady come back for them?" I almost hugged the bag girl I was so relieved! I was sending up thank you prayers all the way to the truck.

The stress of nearly losing my keys and not eating since early morning left me feeling shaky, so I came home, put away my groceries, then sat down and had a sandwich and some chips. And a Big Red. I've never had a Big Red before, but it was free with the barbecued brisket. It tasted like I was drinking carbonated perfume. Maybe Ron will like it.

Ron will be home tomorrow. He is so ready to be home, but has to leave again on Monday for another out of town trip. :o(

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to you, Kalona. I know you were so grateful to have those keys back.

We used to drink Big Red when I was a little girl in San Antonio. It was my favorite, but I think carbonated perfume sums it up perfectly.

Rachel in Dallas

Kalona said...

Rachel, I'm still sending up thank you prayers for those keys, six hours later. :o)

Is Big Red a local drink, then? Is it not available in Dallas? I had the diet kind. Maybe the regular is better.

MentalMom said...

I always thought Big Red tasted like amoxicillin (pink medicine, as my kids call it)

I picked up the same meal deal. These days I've been buying a lot of pre-made easy stuff. The kids can make it themselves and it doesn't stink up the house with cooking food smells :D

Anonymous said...

I think it is bottled in Waco. Maybe Dr. Pepper makes it. I don't remember seeing it outside of Texas, and mostly in South Texas. You can get it in Dallas, but I don't think my kids like it much.

My favorite restaurant in San Antonio was the old La Fonda on Broadway. I think it is gone now, along with Earl Abel's, which had great pies in one of those spinning pie cases.

San Antonio is a great place! Did you grow up there?

Rachel

Kalona said...

K, yeah, now that you mention it, I think you're right about the amoxicillan. :o)

HEB does have some pretty good meal deals sometimes. Yes, quick and easy works for me, too, especially when I'm the only one here and don't want to cook. Sorry you're dealing with the nausea again.

Kalona said...

Rachel, La Fonda has several locations now. And Earl Abel's moved to Austin Highway, but it's still around. We go there after church now and then, and they still have good pie.

No, didn't grow up here. We came here in 1991 when my husband was assigned to Ft. Sam Houston. He retired after that tour, and we stayed. He still works for the military as a civilian. SA feels like home after all this time.