Friday, November 13, 2009

African Netted Necklace Is Finished

I finished the red necklace yesterday. It was fun to get back into beading again.

It is about 22" long including the clasp, so it doesn't fit around the neck like a choker, but falls to about the collar bone. It started out as a practice piece. I used some cheap seed beads in red because I had a lot of them. I thought I would make another one using more uniform beads, but I like the rather organic look and feel of this one. The uneven beads give it more sparkle, and it is very flexible and feels good on. (It looks much more sparkly in real life). I used black waxed beading thread, but used nylon thread to attach the clasp so make it stronger.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it.

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

It's very beautiful. Wow. It also looks like a lot of work. How long did it take you?

Kalona said...

Thank you, Rosemary! I worked on it intermittently over the past two weeks, beading a section or two at a time until it was about half finished. Then I suddenly wanted it done, so I stayed up into the wee hours a few nights ago to finish it.

I think four of the little sections took me about an hour (I was slower at first, got faster as I worked on it). So I'll estimate that it took about 6 hours. I started out with a bent needle, and when I got new needles the work went much faster. :o)

Sarah - Kala said...

It turned out lovely! How did you ever learn to bead like that?

Kalona said...

Thank you, Sarah! I learned to bead mostly from websites and bead magazines. I'm a total amateur, but I do enjoy it. I started out making simple woven items, and beading bottles and Christmas ornaments. You can see some of my early attempts here: http://members.tripod.com/sharon_5-ivil/walkwithme/id22.html