Thursday, August 26, 2010

Foaming at the mouth!

Last night I was on my way to the kitchen when I glanced toward the patio door and saw Katy standing there looking in. It was dark, but she had her face right up to the glass and a panicked look on her face. There was white foam all over her mouth and muzzle! I said, "Ron, look at Katy!"

Right away I knew that she had had an encounter with a toad. I hurried to the computer and looked up what to do. It said to wash her mouth out with a water hose for 10 to 15 minutes, so that is what I did.

At first she tried to turn her head away, but when she realized that the water was helping, she just sat between my legs and let me clean her mouth and gums.

Some of the info on the internet was quite scary, saying that toxins from toads can kill a dog, that they could have vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations, heart arrhythmia and all sorts of other symptoms. I watched her like a hawk, and she didn't exhibit any other symptoms. I think she came to let me know as soon as she knew that something was wrong. She's a real mama's girl (thank goodness). Her quick action (and mine) kept the toxins from going into her system.

I got up during the night to check on her, and she was fine, and she is okay today. Ron found one dead toad in the yard, and we know there is another around somewhere, so we have to find it and relocate it to the nearby creek. Meanwhile, the puppies are either in the house or in their dog yard where they can't get into trouble!

I took the picture above last August, when we also had a lot of toads coming in the yard. I'm sure it is the same kind of toad that Katy tasted, Bufo Woodhousii Woodhousi, or Woodhouse's toad. It's not one of the most poisonous kinds in South Texas, such as the Colorado River toad or those awful Cane toads, but it can make an animal sick and possibly die, especially if the animal is small.

A few days ago, Sister was running around with half a dried up toad in her mouth, but she never had any symptoms--I suppose the toad was dead when she found it, so couldn't exude toxins.

I tell you, it is always something. :o)


Kelly said...

Oh no! I'm glad she's okay, I have toads. I'm actually very protective of THEM, keeping the dogs away from them and moving them off the porch if I let the dogs out at night. I didn't realize they were poisonous to dogs. Not sure why that didn't occur to me.

I like toads. :)

They come on the back-porch at night when the light is on to have a bug buffet.

I'll make sure to be careful and not let the dogs get a-hold of one!

Poor Katy! :(

Kalona said...

I know, Kel! It seems like she is always the one to get into something harmful, even though Sis is the rowdy girl. I like toads, too, but I'm going to have to ban them from my yard. Your big dogs would probably be okay, but Hunter might be more affected by the toad toxin.

Linda said...

Good and fast thinking! I might have thought she had rabies or something and wouldn't have thought of a toad. Glad I know now. :)

Sarah Oldham said...

How scary!
There are poisonous frogs/toads here in HI, too, and plenteous on the island I live on . . . I see them out at night and I'm always afraid Holly's gonna chew on one. She was staring down a millipede the other night (Rachel saw it) . . . ugh!

Glad all is well.