Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Second Day In Florida

Had a nice, peaceful day. After breakfast Ron went to the conference and I came back upstairs and wrote my daybook post and surfed the web a bit.

Then I put on my jacket and gloves and went for a walk. I walked around the hotel grounds, then went out on the pier. It was colder out over the water, and I put the hood up on my jacket. It was fun seeing all the birds, despite the cold.

When I came back to the room the maid was here and we talked for awhile. She's very sweet.

The sun warmed up the room so much that I opened the balcony door and sat in a comfy chair to read. Reading made me sleepy, so I took a nap. During my nap I got two phone calls, one from the front desk to make sure we are enjoying our visit, and one from Ron, saying he was leaving early and we would have time to look around a bit before it gets dark. It gets dark so early here!

So I got up and took a shower and was ready to go when he arrived. We drove around the typical touristy beach town with tons of condos, hotels and motels that are probably filled during Spring Break and in the summer, but are pretty empty right now. In fact, a lot of the businesses here are closed for the winter season.

We stopped to shop for the grandkids in one of those stores that sell t-shirts, beach towels and sunglasses. It was a pretty big store, and we were the only shoppers in there!

The sun started to go down, so we found a place to get to the beach so I could try to take pictures. Wish I had a better camera, but the sunset was beautiful and the sand on the beach is so white and fine. Once the sun started to set it went down really quickly, and by the time we found a place to eat, it was dark.

We ate at a little seafood place on the way back to the hotel. I had a seafood trio--fried oysters, shrimp and grouper--with baked potato, green beans and hush puppies. It was delicious. Ron had grilled flounder, a salad and cole slaw and garlic bread. It was good, too. For such a simple little place the food was outstanding.

We thought it was interesting that in both places we stopped, the t-shirt store and the restaurant, some of the people had what sounded like Russian or Ukranian accents.

After supper we stopped at a Winn Dixie (grocery store) and got some Coke Zero and chips and dip, just to have snacks handy if we want them. We came "home" and Ron got on-line and I watched NCIS. I also called and talked to Josh and Cyrise for a bit.

Now it's suddenly after 11 PM and we're getting up early because Ron has to be at the conference by 8 tomorrow. I like going downstairs and having breakfast with him before he leaves.

Goodnight. :o)

No comments: