Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Random Thoughts

1. My puppies snore like big fat men.

2. The most visited post on my blog is Michaelmas, arrived at by visitors googling "St. Michael" or "images of St. Michael." 90% of random visitors to my blog are looking for pics or info on St. Michael. I think that's fascinating. Why are so many people all over the world looking for the Angel who fights against evil, who protects us from the devil? I think it's because people are more aware of the spiritual battle going on in the world, they instinctively know that something is wrong.

Here is the St. Michael prayer for all those souls who are looking for protection, peace and comfort because of the evil in the world:

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

3. You can make a good steak in a skillet on the stove if your son borrows his dad's grill and hasn't returned it. :o) I pan-grilled two T-bones tonight, and they were delicious. Here's how to do it:

2 thick steaks
choice of seasoning (I am out of Uncle Chris', our favorite steak seasoning, so I used Texas Cajun Seasoning).
olive oil
a little bit of sherry

Oil the skillet with the olive oil, wiping off most of it. Heat the skillet so that it's hot when you put the steaks in. Sprinkle the steaks with seasoning on both sides, pressing it into the meat with your fingers. Cook the steaks for 5 minutes on the first side over medium high heat. Turn the steaks with tongs after 5 minutes, and cook 5 minutes on the other side. This resulted in medium rare steaks, which is how we like them. If you want them more well done, cook a little longer. Remove the steaks to plates. Deglaze the skillet with a little bit of sherry. Cook it down for about a minute. Pour or brush the glaze over the finished steaks. Serve with baked potatos and green beans. Mmm.

4. Nope, I'm not watching the State of the Union speech. I'll wait for Adrienne to tell me about it. :o)

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

SOTU summed up - Blah, Blah, Blah

Honestly - I don't have much patience for picking apart a bunch of lies. I'm waaaaay too ADD and prefer to "cut to the chase"

There was a time when all steaks were cooked that way and many high-end restaurants still cook them that way. Juices stay in the steak where they belong!

We really like Montreal Steak Seasoning. Costco has there own now (Kirkland Signature)

I'm getting ready for a sewing project. Just me and my pincushion. Life is good!

Kalona said...

LOL Blah, blah blah seems to be the general consensus from what I've been reading, Adrienne.

We like Montreal Seasonings, too, and have used both the steak and chicken kind. Uncle Chris' is similar, but made in Texas, comes in a bigger bottle and is cheaper. I haven't tried Costco's brand.

Hope you and your pin cushion have fun with your sewing project. What are you making?