Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Mandolin

Ron gave me the most unexpected but delightful gift for Christmas.

He is a woodworker, and sometimes orders tools and things from a company called Grizzly. One day, months ago, he overheard me say something to someone about how I had always wanted a mandolin. I play the violin, and thought it would be easy to play the mandolin since the strings are the same. He said that he thought at the time, "I never knew she wanted a mandolin." So when he saw a mandolin kit in his Grizzly catalog, he ordered it for me.

He is in the process of putting it together. I should have taken a before picture when it was still in little pieces; he has already assembled the big pieces. There is still quite a bit to do, including putting a finish on it and all of the smaller bits, but it's coming along.

I'm very excited to have it, and have already found an on-line site with instructions on how to play the mandolin.

I'll post pictures when it is finished.

5 comments:

X said...

This is so neat!

Sarah - Kala said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful guy!!!

Kalona said...

Thanks, ladies.

Sarah, I'm blessed to be married to one of the good guys. :o)

Kelly said...

I can't wait to see the finished mandolin and, just as important, hear you play the beautiful instrument!

Kalona said...

Kelly, me too! I'll have to learn to play on double strings and how to pick and strum. It will be fun!