Tuesday, October 27, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours

So much for hoping that Katy has a mild case of Parvo. She is very sick tonight, and I'll take her to the vet for the IV fluids tomorrow morning. I've tried giving her water with the turkey baster, and we got her some Gatorade (for the electrolytes), but she can't keep anything down. I'm worried that she will get too dehydrated, so off to the vet again. :o( This stuff is a horrible, nasty illness. My poor babies.

Sister is better. She's still not eating much, but she does eat some, and will drink water on her own. She's also regaining her energy, and is more active. The vet said that in a couple of days she will be ravenous, and want to eat everything in sight. I hope he's right!

Do you ever think that bad things come in bunches? Seems like that's how it happens around here. Today on the way to Mom's, the transmission in my car stopped working. I had noticed that it was shifting funny, and told Ron a few weeks ago that something was wrong, but we didn't do anything about it. So today as I was driving along, the car engine would rev, but the gears were slipping. I knew I wasn't going to make it to Mom's, so turned around and was almost home--within a few blocks--when I had to stop at a stop sign on a hill. When I tried to go, the car just would not go, no matter which gear I put it in. So I had to call a tow truck. The car is sitting in the driveway now, useless piece of...junk.

Ron came home and took Mom's meds to her on the way back to work. He got a ride to work tomorrow, so I'll be able to keep the truck to take Kate to the vet and go to Mom's. Cars are such a pain in the you-know-what.

In spite of everything that is going on, I'm in good spirits. Reece is here tonight (he's with us every Tuesday night), and oh my, that little boy makes me happy. He's been as good as gold all evening.

At bedtime I was reading to him. One of the books we got from the library is Eating The Alphabet by Lois Ehlert. It's one of the books that relates to our lesson theme of being healthy.

Anyway, did you know that the word papaya is the funniest word in the world? Reece got so tickled when I read that word! We were making the sounds the letters make, and he likes the "p-p-p" sound of the letter P. But papaya had him absolutely cracking up! He kept repeating the word, then would erupt in laughter, and so would I. I bet no one has ever had so much fun reading that book as we did tonight.

I thought he would be too wound up after all the laughing to go to sleep, but he was asleep in a matter of minutes after the light went out. What a sweetie!

Please continue to pray for Sister and Katy, especially Katy. Thank you so much!

4 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

Prayers for your pups - and your sanity! Stay strong.

Therese said...

so sorry katy has to go to the vet Kalona. I will continue to pray for both of them. I bet sister will be lonely now. When they are both better, they will be very excited to see each other I think.

Linda said...

Yes, when it rains it pours. Glad it didn't get your spirits down.

Kalona said...

Thank you Sarah, Therese and Linda! I feel better knowing that Katy is at the vet's now, getting IV fluids. I tried hard to keep her hydrated, but she just couldn't keep anything down.

When I got back from the vet's, I let Sister outside and she searched the whole yard for Kate. :o(

I'll be so relieved when this is over and they are well!

Your prayers are deeply appreciated. Thank you.