Saturday, October 31, 2009

Beware Of Long-Leggedy Beasties!

Happy Hallowe'en!

Today is the eve of All Saint's Day (All Hallows, November 1st), the day the Church traditionally celebrates all of the Saints in Heaven, the Church Triumphant.

Sunday November 2nd is All Soul's Day, the day we pray for all of the souls in Purgatory, the Church Suffering, especially our loved ones.

Today, Hallowe'en, is unofficially the day we remember those souls in hell. It is understandable then that the symbolism is frightening and macabre, and perhaps helps us renew our determination to stay on the narrow path to Heaven rather than the wide and easy path to hell. I sure don't want to be one of those poor souls in this picture!


From ghoulies and ghosties

And long-leggedy beasties

And things that go bump in the night,

Good Lord, deliver us!

Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to get my new Catholic blog up and running out here in Colorado and would love for you and others to check it out. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. In January, I will be launching a new project for the Church and my blog will be the main platform to let the world know about it. I hope you will follow the adventure. Blessings.

http://sjdemoor.wordpress.com/