Thursday, October 22, 2009

Prayers For Sister

My heart is heavy tonight. I had to leave Sister at the vet's this afternoon. She has refused to eat since yesterday morning, and was very lethargic and sick. I thought maybe she had eaten something toxic, but it turns out she has parvovirus.

The vet was surprised because he has been taking care of the puppies since I first got them, and they are both up-to-date with all of their vaccinations, including the one for parvo. He said that some dogs are just immune to them, or the vaccine could have been faulty.

In any case, he started Sister on an IV for fluids, although she wasn't very dehydrated, and will give her antibiotics and whatever she needs to make her well again. He said that parvo is an awful, dangerous disease, but gave her an 80% chance of overcoming it. That leaves a 20% chance that she won't, though, and that scares me.

Parvo is very contagious, so of course I am worried about Katy getting it, too. So far she is fine, eating well and full of energy. The vet had me take her in for a booster shot, just in case. I called Kelly so that she could have her dogs checked, too. Her vet also gave them boosters, and did the test to make sure they are parvo-free. They are fine, thank goodness.

I've disinfected the kennel, the floor, their toys and every spot in the yard where Sister pooped. I even cleaned my garden clogs and flipflops with a bleach solution. The puppies spend most of their time outside when the weather is nice, and are confined to the kitchen area which is tiled when they are inside. I've often wanted to let them roam the house freely, but didn't because of Maggie Cat. She's a grouchy cat with sharp claws. Now I'm glad I didn't let them go everywhere.

Katy hardly knows what to do with herself without her sister and constant companion. She has been looking for Sister, and barking her little "where are you" bark. They love to play hide and seek, and I always know when they are doing that because they have a different bark for each other than they do for strangers. Kate whined and howled when I put her in her kennel for the night. It doesn't feel right that Sissy is not here. I want to whine and howl, too. :o(

Won't you please send up a little prayer for Sister, and for Katy, too? Thank you!

Heavenly Father,
Please help us in our time of need,
You have made us stewards of Sister.
If it is Your will, please restore her
to health and strength.
I pray too for other animals in need.
May they be treated with the care and respect
deserving of all Your creation.
Blessed are You Lord God,
and holy is Your name for ever and ever.
Amen

Good St. Francis, you loved all of God's creatures.
To you they were your brothers and sisters.
Help us to follow your example
of treating every living thing with kindness.
St. Francis, Patron Saint of animals,
watch over my pets, Sister and Katy,
and keep my companions safe and healthy.
Amen.


6 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so sorry. Let's hope....

Therese said...

oh Kalona,

It is just like leaving a child at the hospital.

I hope that Sister will get better quickly.

I remember when we had two dogs and one went missing while we were out at a picnic. The other one was mourning so much for her and when they were reunited, it was wonderful.

Katy will be very happy when Sister comes home.

Praying.

MentalMom said...

St. Francis, pray for our sweet, little Sister.

She'll beat it Sharon. She is big and strong and otherwise super healthy.

Prayers. :(

Kalona said...

Thank you, everyone!

Kelly said...

"God of healing, please comfort and strengthen Sister during her illness. Ease her fear and pain, and guide the vet and all caring for her, that she may recover fully. Comfort us, too, God, that we may better care for Sister and Katy and make decisions that are best for them. Please be with Sister and Katy and grant them extra attention and love, that they know they are beloved members of your creation.

Amen."

Kalona said...

Thank you, sweetie. I know you are praying hard for our little girls.