Thursday, April 16, 2009

We Partied Like It's 1773

Ron and I went to the Tea Party at the Alamo yesterday, along with about 16,000 other South Texans.

Glenn Beck did his show from there, then returned later to give the opening remarks. Ted Nugent was umm...Ted Nugent. He doesn't hold back. :o) Most of the speakers were everyday folks, and they all did a good job explaining why they are involved in this grassroots resistance movement.

From what I have read on the internet, hundreds of thousands of people attended the tea parties held across the country yesterday. I've heard that they are just malcontents, mad because Obama won the election. I've heard that the movement isn't a grassroots movement at all, but organized and funded by the rich and powerful who want to use the people for their own purposes. I've heard that the tea parties don't mean anything, won't accomplish anything, are a waste of time. I don't believe any of that.

What I know is that the people I saw yesterday were ordinary people--older couples, young people, families with little kids, teens, white, black, hispanic, asian--a real cross section of America. Not the kinds of people who usually show up for protests or rallies. But they came because they know that something is wrong in our country. They came to raise their voices, hoping to sound an alarm before America goes completely off the tracks.

They came to let Mr. Obama and Congress know that they won't sit silently by and let their rights be compromised or taken away. They won't sit silently by while taxes are raised and trillions of dollars of their tax money is used for purposes they oppose. They won't sit silently by while the Constitution may be in jeopardy from the very people who are supposed to uphold it.

I was proud to be among those people. I hope they continue to raise their voices and resist any "change" that is not beneficial to America.

8 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

Other commitments kept me from participating in Annapolis, MD, yesterday, but I sure thought and prayed about it. I can't see the sense in taking our money just to return it to us in stimulus and tax us again . . . I don't understand it all that much, but I do know that people need to buy what they need and stop borrowing. Get real and pay off their debts . . . be willing to sacrifice a while. Cut back. That's all it takes - That's what our family is doing. It just stinks that we have to buy new furniture now - the stuff we have is old and breaking or we'd make do. But, all shall be okay.

I don't always comment, but I come by here often and I always enjoy your reflections and your grandkids! God bless you!

Did I tell you I went to the Alamo in October last year and I signed the guest book Jodi Foster? It is a running joke with friends here. :)

Kalona said...

Sarah, I really appreciate your visits and your comments, thank you! That is hilarious that you signed the guest book at the Alamo as Jodi Foster. I bet the Daughters of the Republic were so excited. :o)

Adrienne said...

K - you are not a malcontent. You are a right wing extremist domestic terrorist (like moi), and somewhere there is a cell waiting for all of us And don't you forget that young lady!!!!

JoAnnC. said...

Wha??? No love for Uncle Ted? That and Glen Beck were the reason Doug suggested a road trip to S.A. for the Tea Party...we settled on Sugar Land instead!

Kalona said...

Hah! Adrienne, you're right--I AM a right wing extremist domestic terrorist like you! Thank God. :o)

Kalona said...

JoAnn, Ted is just so LOUD. Loud mouth, loud guitar, loud. Someone on the internet (hah) said that he gave the best speech, though. I wish you had come to SA, but since you missed him and Beck, here are some pics from the official SA tea party website. Look at the name of the URL--I love it! :o)
http://www.theythinkyouarestupid.com/images.shtml

Linda said...

I was IN San Antonio on Wed, but had to rush back in the afternoon. Tom took the oldest to the Woodlands for the tea party there. I was tooo tired from the trip.
Sorry I didn't have time to come see you, as it was a drive and turn around trip. sigh.
I'm glad you went! Where did you park?!

Kalona said...

Linda, we were in the River Center parking garage on the next to the top floor (F). Not a good idea.

Maybe we can get together next time you're in town, or if we make it to your area. Our son and his family usually come here (we have more room), but now and then we go there. We sometimes shop at the Woodlands when we visit them, as it is not too far from where they live.