Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Cabinet Is Finished

Ron finished the cabinet last night. I love it and think it turned out beautiful! It will hold Reece's homeschool books and supplies. I'm not sure where I want it yet, so I won't put anything in it until I've tried it in a couple of different spots.

The frame is made of pine, the sides, back and shelves are plywood. Everything is stained, then finished with polypropylene and waxed. Ron's a perfectionist about woodworking, and it feels like buttah. The glass was salvaged from our old door sidelights when we got a new door. It's leaded glass with a bit of stained glass (flowers and leaves).

I think it will be a treasured family heirloom. :o)

Our day was full. Mass today was a high Mass, and Father's homily was about vocations, which fit right in with Good Shepherd Sunday. He said that we will have six priests ordained this year in the diocese, not as many as we used to have, but more than we've had lately. What wonderful news!

Kelly was coming over in the afternoon to spend time with me, so we stopped for a quick barbecue lunch. Ron and I got home around 2:15 and Kelly and her dogs showed up around 2:30. We left the dogs with Ron, who was working on the pool this afternoon, and went to some thrift stores, Anna's Linens, Big Lots and the grocery store (Ron called to ask us to bring home sodas, milk and chocolate chip cookies). :o) Kelly found lots of treasures, but I only bought a pack of scrapbook paper at Big Lots. I was looking for a large basket and a hummingbird feeder, but didn't find what I wanted. We had so much fun, though.

Josh came by after we got home, so he got to see Kelly and the dogs. He had Ron's truck. Now they have gone to get gas in the truck and pick up a pizza and Kelly is on her way home.

It's cloudy and windy and looks as though it will pour down rain any minute, but it's been that way all day and hasn't rained a drop. :o( Maybe tonight. Hope you've had a lovely Sunday, too.

*Edited to add a picture of the top of the cabinet to show the backpiece with walnut rectangular insets that match the walnut insets on the front, because I think they are pretty. :o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Ron. The cabinet is Eastern Red Cedar, the wood usually associated with cedar chests having the wonderful cedar aroma.

Kalona said...

Oops. I meant the frame is made of Eastern Red Cedar--yeah, that's what I meant. ;o) It does smell wonderful!

H F J said...

Ohheavens! That's is so lovely. Truly a masterpiece, Ron. And you are right, it will be a family heirloom to be treasured.