Wednesday, March 3, 2010

He's Back!

The little wren I mentioned in a post a few days ago is back. I'm so excited!

Today I was standing at the back door, talking to Ron on the phone, when the wren suddenly flew onto the patio and went into the wren house with a beak full of nest materials. I grabbed the camera and waited, and pretty soon he came back with more stuff. He moves so quickly that I didn't think I'd be able to get a picture of him, but I managed to get a couple of fairly good ones. Isn't he the cutest?

I made the wren house (with help from Ron and Josh) several years ago, and had fun painting it and putting an embossed copper strip on the top to keep the roof from leaking. Now it is looking pretty battered and weather worn. We've never had a bird show any interest in it until now.

It's going to be so much fun watching them raise their family there. Usually they build their nest someplace crazy, like in the outside grill.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Wow! You got some great pictures.

We're having our usual spring bombardment of cedar was wings flying around drunk from eating juniper berries.

Today there abut 50 of them all trying to get into the birdbath for a drink of water. You know how thirsty having a hangover makes you...heh!

Kalona said...

Thanks, Adrienne. Oh, I wish I had had water in our birdbath the day the waxwings were in our yard! That must be fun to watch.

Kelly said...

Kalona, I remember when you made that bird house!

It's so awesome, I love the picture you took of the wren sticking his (her?) head out of the hole, hehe.

Also, I want to see photos of drunk wax wings. :P