Friday, March 19, 2010

Busy Spring Break Week

Our son, daughter-in-law and grandkids from the Houston area have been here this week, and we've enjoyed spending time with them. They got here late Monday night. I asked what they wanted to do during their spring break, and they said "swim in the pool!" It rained and was cold on Tuesday, but they got to swim Wednesday and Thursday. Today they met their Aunt Kelly at the theater and saw Alice In Wonderland. I stayed here with the little kids while their parents and the older kids went to the movie. In the pics are Jacob (5), Camryn (10 months), Reece (4), and Aubrey (22 months).




One or two of them have gone with me every day to see Great Gran, and of course she enjoys that very much. On Wednesday when we were coming back from her place, a young woman ran into the back of our pick-up truck. Reece and Lily were with me, so it scared me, but fortunately no one was hurt. We were in a rather long line, waiting at the light to turn onto the highway when I saw the car behind me coming at a fast clip, and I braced myself knowing that we were going to be hit. I pushed hard on the brake, hoping to keep the truck from ramming the minivan in front of me, and honked my horn. He moved forward just in time, and drove on when the light turned green. There is no visible damage to the truck, other than a scape on the bumper, but the car's hood and front end were smashed. The poor girl was so shaken. She had three passengers with her. They had been in a funeral procession, which had already gone by (the reason for the backed up traffic), and I guess she was trying to catch up and not paying attention to her driving. Her insurance company has already set up an appointment for me to take the truck to be looked at, and will pay for repairs if there is damage that we can't see. It was a very minor accident in the scheme of things, but it sure has been a hassle. :o\

Other than that, it's been a pretty laid back visit. Reece spent Tuesday and Wednesday night, so that he could spend time with his cousins. He and Jacob have fun together, and he loves playing with the older kids, too. Lyssa and I worked on a jigsaw puzzle for a couple of days. Caelen is learning to play the guitar, and I've enjoyed sitting and listening to both him and his dad practice while I worked on the puzzle or on the computer.

The girls have made lots of bracelets and necklaces with the beads I got at the thrift store, and we've played with the Cootie game, too. Jake likes to put all the cooties together; he doesn't even have to play the game. :o)

Tonight we had fried catfish for dinner. After dinner I took Lys, Lily and Jake to the dollar store for little treats because Jake was a good boy and ate all his veggies last night and tonight. He got a yo-yo, some plastic tee balls, and one of those funny faces with a big nose, glasses, eyebrows and a mustache. He looks so cute in it. :o) The girls got a couple of little things, too. Then we came home and made marshmallow fudge.

We were hoping to go to the zoo tomorrow, but now a cold front is coming and the weather will be colder and maybe rainy, so I guess we'll do that the next time they come. Instead, we'll have a cook-out. It's become a bit of a tradition for the kids to make Korean kalbi when they all get together, and they are looking forward to it.

No comments: