Monday, February 1, 2010

A Simple Woman's Daybook

Outside my window...
Ugly, yucky, cold, drizzly, gray.

I am thankful...
for furnaces and our cozy home.

I am wearing...
jeans, black socks and one of Ron's old sweaters that he outgrew and I grew into.


I am remembering...
later this month will be our 41st wedding anniversary. There was a Kansas blizzard the night before, and lots of snow on the ground for our wedding day. My high school best friend drove in from out of town, through the blizzard, to get there. My little sister and I picked up the wedding cake from the bakery that morning--in my Volkswagen Beetle. My 14 year old sister held the cake on her lap as I navigated through the icy, snowy streets to the church. Incredibly, we made it with only a small smudge in the frosting at the bottom of the cake.

I am going...
I've been to Mom's and to two thrift stores. I want to run over to Hobby Lobby for some brass findings (for jewelry making), and to the grocery store. Ron bought bread and a 12 pack of Cherry Coke Zero yesterday, and I took the bread to Mom today, and the half pack of sodas that was already opened. He gets a little cranky when he can't find the food he just bought. :o)

I am reading...
Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. Can you believe I've never read it? I found it at the thrift store.

On my mind...
hoping the maintenance man got over to Mom's apartment this afternoon to fix her thermostat. Her heat won't shut off, even when we turned the thermostat off, and even when we turned on the AC! Hot air just keeps blowing from the vents. When we got home from Mass yesterday, it was 93° in her apartment! We opened the door and all the windows. It was still hot this morning (84°), so I turned off the furnace at the breaker box.

Not only is it annoying to have it so hot, but her utility bill has been much higher than average. It doesn't seem to do it all the time, just now and then.

From the learning rooms...
Learning about the miracle of the loaves and fishes. Sorting by type.

Pondering these words...
China tea, the scent of hyacinths, wood fires and bowls of violets--that is my mental picture of an agreeable February afternoon.
Constance Spry

From the kitchen....
I made a pot of Earl Grey tea and had it with honey, and a piece of toast with butter and apricot jam for breakfast.

Around the house...
the puppies have been spending quite a bit of time inside, so there is a lingering faint doggy odor downstairs. Need to sweep, de-clutter and do some of the never-ending laundry.

One of my favorite things...
Valentines.

From my picture album...


This is what I got from the thrift stores today.

A book of "cowboy music," two reading books for grade level 1-1 and 1-2, and the Walden book I mentioned above.


And a Waring Commercial Bar Blender. When I got my Kitchen Aid mixer, I gave my old Oster mixer with all its parts and pieces to my son and daughter-in-law, including the blender. So I've been without a blender for awhile, except for the immersible one I borrow from Josh now and then.

I mentioned just yesterday that I needed to look for a new blender, and Josh said he had heard that Waring blenders were good, and noticed that the chefs on cooking shows often have that brand. So today at the thrift store, I found one! I wasn't sure if it would work, but it does. It's not the top-of-the-line model, but wow, it sure has a powerful motor! And it was only $4.99. Can't beat that.

Be sure to go to Peggy's to read more daybooks.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I like your thrift store! Nice finds.
Can you believe I forgot Candlemas? Thank you for reminding me!