Friday, February 12, 2010

Rice Pudding

My son and daughter-in-law got me a new rice cooker for Christmas--my favorite brand. Isn't it pretty? We eat lots and lots of rice around here, but I made too much and had leftovers. I didn't want to throw it out, so I decided to make rice pudding. It turned out great!

Creamy Rice Pudding
* 1 1/2 C cooked white rice
* 2 cups milk, divided
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg, beaten
* 2/3 cup golden raisins
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.

I used a little more rice because I skipped the raisins (we don't care for cooked raisins, but if you like them, go for it). I also added some cinnamon and nutmeg to the pudding as it finished cooking. You could just sprinkle some on top, but I wanted the spices all throughout the pudding. Don't use too much nutmeg--just a pinch--because it has a strong flavor.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Mmm! That looks wonderful. Now I'm hungry for rice puddin'. :)

Kalona said...

Come over. I will make you some.