Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thursday Chitchat

Yesterday was a bummer of a day. It was okay in the morning because Reece was here, and went to Gran's with me. But I had planned to go to the Latin Mass at 6:30 AM. Ron was going to stay with Reece until I got home, then go to work. Sometime in the night he got sick and was sick all day with some kind of intestinal thing. He stayed home from work, so he turned off the alarm and I didn't wake up in time for the early Mass.

In the afternoon we found out there was a mishap at the bank that left us way overdrawn. It's all taken care of now, but things like that make me crazy. I'm the bill payer, and try so hard to keep our finances in order, so I get really frustrated when things like that happen.

So I didn't go to Mass at all, even though it was Ash Wednesday. Ron asked if I wanted to go in the evening, but after the crummy day, I didn't feel like sitting through a Novus Ordo Mass just to get ashes. (I know, terrible attitude).

Today has been a better day. Ron was feeling well enough to go to work, thank goodness. I talked to him earlier and he said he was able to eat without a problem today. Yesterday all he had was some beef broth.

After leaving Mom's today, I stopped at a children's resale store and a thrift store. I guess I wasn't in the mood because I didn't find much. The four wine glasses match four that I found at another thrift store a few months ago. The cookbook is really cool; it has some good recipes in it. The glass vase will replace a generic plain one. And I'm a sucker for Asian things. The little Chinese or Japanese vase has a stamped Kanji signature on the bottom. That's how Asian artists sign their work.

I'm fasting every day during Lent, eating a small breakfast and lunch and a normal dinner. But I need to get the dang Oreos out of the house.

Off to fold laundry. Tootles.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I just read this post again. It looks like the week improved since then. I know what you mean about "sitting through a Novus Ordo Mass". I didn't go either. Even though our parish offers a Novus Ordo Mass, it is more solemn and 'correct', and when I can't get to it, and only have the local churches available, I don't go at all.

Kalona said...

Hi Linda! Yes, the week did get better.

I don't mind a Novus Ordo Mass at all when it is reverent. It's the ones that are filled with abuses, so that I'm angry and upset during Mass, that I try to avoid. So often the focus seems to be on the congregation, the "choir" (or the jazz pianist or folk guitarists), the priest, instead of on Jesus in the Eucharist. It drives me crazy.