Friday, February 19, 2010

Fish (And Grandkids) On Friday

I've had Reece with me most of the day today. He's been good, but I had to explain to him that I had things I wanted to get done, so I couldn't stop and play with him constantly. So he entertained himself while I did laundry, cleaned out our little bar area, which is a real catch-all, and made dinner. I did stop to play with him from time to time.

We have fish on Fridays throughout the year, not just during Lent. I had some catfish in the freezer, so I made bronzed catfish for supper, with green beans and rice. Ron called to let me know he was on his way home, and I asked him if he was hungry. He said yes, because he had skipped lunch. I skipped lunch, too, so I was famished and glad to make supper a little earlier than usual. It sure tasted good!




Bronzed Catfish

2 largish catfish filets
1/2 stick of butter
Cajun blackened seasoning

Rinse the catfish, pat dry with paper towels. Melt the butter and slather it over both sides of the catfish. Sprinkle both sides with the blackened seasoning. Heat a skillet over high heat until it's smoking. Put the buttered filets into the skillet, turn down the heat a bit, and cook about 5 to 6 minutes on each side if the filets are thick, less if they are thin. You can judge whether the fish is done by flaking it with a fork. I had to cook mine a little longer than I expected.

You can use almost any kind of fish in this recipe.

So simple, and yet so good! The two filets were enough for me, Ron and Reece. He liked the fish, but preferred the green beans to anything else. I've never seen a little boy who loves vegetables as much as Reece does. :o)

Josh brought Aubrey over around 6 PM. She and Reece always spend the night with us on Fridays. We spent the evening playing, drawing, watching Hot Wheel and Thomas videos, and doing puzzles.

Aubrey never wants to go to bed, but tonight she came right into the bedroom with a book, turned on the fan (they always sleep with a fan for the white noise), and climbed onto the bed, ready for her story. We are sleeping in the spare room. We left Papa and Reece in the master bedroom just as Papa was starting to read Make Way For Ducklings to Reece.

Goodnight. :o)

No comments: