Friday, September 18, 2009

A Surprise Visit

Yesterday was so much fun!

When I was in my early twenties I was crazy about my cousin's little boy. He was the cutest, funniest little kid! Although I never lost complete contact with my cousin and extended family, time and distance have kept us from being as close as we were. So I was delighted when I got a phone call Wednesday from that cute, funny little kid saying he would be in town Thursday, and could we get together. He especially wanted to see Mom, who is his great-aunt.

He is a truck driver, and parked his truck in the parking lot of a nearby Wal-Mart. I picked him up in the afternoon, and we went to Mom's apartment. He brought along his laptop filled with family pictures. He has a lovely wife, two grown sons and a 17 month old grandson now. It's so amazing to see the family resemblence in his children, and the children of the other cousins in his photo albums. You can certainly tell that we are all related!

His little grandson is so precious. You can see that he is a very happy, loved little guy. Seeing all the pictures made me wish that we didn't live so far apart. I'd love to hold that little grandson and cuddle him.

We met Ron for dinner at a Mexican restaurant and had a great time talking and hearing my cousin's stories about family, his adventures driving a truck all over the country, and a trip he took to Germany years ago. We laughed so much, and really enjoyed being with him. The little boy I loved all those years ago has grown into a wonderful man, warm and easy-going.

Mom was so happy to see him, and I loved the gentle way he had with her. I took him back to his truck around 9 PM, and he was headed for Houston. He has promised to call if he gets back down this way, and I'm already looking forward to the next visit!

Vaya con Dios, R. C.!

1 comment:

X said...

It makes me happy to read things like this :o)