Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rain and Cherry Pudding

We are finally getting some rain. We've been in a severe drought, so we're thankful for it.

I drove to Mom's this morning in a downpour, with a prayer on my lips because everyone seemed to have forgotten how to drive in the rain.

I had a load of groceries, a box of sodas, my purse and umbrella in my hands, and as I stepped onto the curb from the parking lot at her apartment complex, my foot slipped and down I went.

I wasn't hurt at all, but had an appointment that afternoon and my white jeans and brown top were filthy from the wet, dirty parking lot. I had on brown sandals with slick soles--stupid to wear those in wet weather!

I got everything inside, and Mom loaned me a robe so that I could wash my clothes. While they were washing and drying, I made her an old-fashioned cherry pudding, using a recipe that my late mother-in-law gave me. She got the recipe from her mother. Mom loved it!

After leaving Mom's, I drove to BAMC for my appointment with my East Indian diabetes counselor. He was pleased with my progress, and told me to keep doing what I'm doing, "and don't fall off the wagon," in his wonderful sing-songy voice. :o)

Traffic coming home was horrible because there were several wrecks on southbound I-35 because of the rain. Two tractor trailers had jack-knifed, causing two other wrecks down the highway--what a mess! I pray that no one was hurt. I was going north, but our side of the highway was slowed as much as the other side.

When I got home the puppies were so anxious to get out of their crate, but when I took them outside they didn't want to get off the porch because of the rain. This from the two water dogs who love to get into the pool! I got my umbrella and walked out into the yard, and they followed me. Now that I think about it, they've not seen much rain in their short lives.

Now they are snoozing, Ron is asleep and I'm up late because I took a long nap late in the day.

Here's the cherry pudding recipe:

Twylah's Cherry Pudding

Batter:
1 C white sugar
1 C flour
½ C milk
1 t vanilla
1 t baking powder
dash salt

Filling:
1 (No. 303) can tart cherries
¾ C sugar

Spread batter in 8X8 or 9X9 pan. Bring the can of cherries and ¾ cup of sugar to a boil and pour slowly over batter. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until pudding is golden brown. Serve with milk, cream, ice cream or whipped cream. (Ron likes it with milk poured over it).

This is really sweet, so you might want to add only 1/2 Cup of sugar to the cherries. Don't use cherry pie filling, but tart canned cherries.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm going to the grocery store today, so I'll get some cherries; thanks for the recipe! I'm truly glad you weren't hurt. That could have been awful.

Kalona said...

Thanks, Linda. I'm going to have to stop falling down some day. It's something I seem to do every couple of years. :o) Hope you enjoy the cherry pudding!