Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Day, Beans and the Bug Man

Fall makes me feel melancholy. It's still hot here, but not the 100+ degrees we were having. Still, there is a different feel in the air.

I got up at 7 this morning to let the puppies out and feed them.

Put on a crockpot of confetti beans.

Stripped the beds and got the laundry going.

Cleaned the litter box.

Swept the laundry room and breakfast room.

Cleaned up some cat throw-up in the living room. Ick.

Made our bed.

Straightened my side of the closet, shoes in place, clothes hung neatly.

Cleared out Ron's side of the closet so that I could see the floor.

Made the bed in the front spare bedroom and picked up a few things in there.

Started working in the back spare bedroom, throwing out clutter, putting things in order. Still have some work to do in there.

Started for Mom's, but had to come back to the house for the little dolly.

Went to Mom's and found her door ajar when I knocked. She said she had not been out and didn't know why it was open. She said she had not taken Teddy out or gone for her mail, but I suspect that she had and just forgot. It worries me that she left the door unlocked and slightly open, though.

Gave her her meds, took Ted for a walk, set up her coffee pot to make coffee the next morning, loaded her dishwasher, etc. etc. etc.

Took the little dolly up to the second floor to pick up a box of food for her from the food bank. Everyone at her complex who is over 65 years old gets a box of food once a month. It's been such a blessing for her since her income is very limited.

Came home and had a bite to eat. Hal the Orkin man showed up just as I took my first bite. We chatted about the puppies and he showed me a picture of his triplet granddaughters. So cute!

More laundry, a little more work on the back bedroom.

Played with the puppies.

Got online for awhile.

Scooped poop while Sis and Kate followed me around the yard. They wanted to play, so I would kick their deflated soccer ball and they would chase it and bring it back. They could play forever!

Ron came home and we had beans and rice for dinner.

I used a bag of 10 different kinds of beans, garlic, a can of crushed tomatoes, a pound of browned ground beef and Creole seasoning. The beans cooked all day in chicken broth and water, the rest of the ingredients are added about 30 minutes before serving. Rice is cooked separately.

I like to put the rice in a bowl, season it with butter and soy sauce, then ladle on some beans. Very yum. I filled a bowl with rice and beans for Mom; will take it to her for her lunch tomorrow. Josh came by and I sent the rest of the rice and beans home with him for their dinner. We have rice and beans about once a month. It's a very filling meal, feeds a lot of people, and doesn't cost much. Have an apple or some other fruit for dessert.

Watched some TV but fell asleep on the couch this evening. Ron came in and rubbed my feet for awhile, then I came back upstairs and got online again.

How was your day?

2 comments:

Linda said...

I understand that concern for your mom. It's difficult to let that go of that final feeling of not having her to take care of you, but to be the one who has to look out for her. You will always be her child though, so love her like your mommy.
I'm afraid I cut off too many of my feelings when I was in your place.

Kalona said...

Linda, your comment came on a day when I'm feeling so much frustration. It's been just one thing after another with Mom the past week. I don't want to be the one who has to make the decisions, who has to deal with the crises, or figure out the solutions. But it is what it is, so I will. I came home this afternoon and cried. When I saw your comment "...love her like your mommy," I cried again, because that is exactly what I need to do. Thank you.