Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Very Long Day

I had an appointment with my diabetes counselor at 9:30 this morning at BAMC. I went reluctantly, a little resentful that they kept calling to make the appointment until I finally agreed. Although my blood sugar numbers are still too high, they are much lower than they were when I was first diagnosed, so I guess I thought I was "good enough." I'm not.

After I spoke with the counselor, I was glad that I went. He lectured me, but I deserved it. He also changed some of my meds and added a couple of new ones. I am determined to get my numbers down to where they should be.

Eating right is not as hard for me as remembering to take my meds as I should. However, I do like my midnight snacks, and they are usually things that aren't good for me, like cookies or ice cream. That, combined with the fact that I often forget my nighttime meds means high sugar numbers in the morning. (The picture is my lunch from yesterday--homegrown tomatoes from my patio and cottage cheese, Crystal Light peach tea. See, I was good). :o)

After speaking with the counselor, I had to wait almost an hour at the pharmacy for my prescriptions. It was noon by the time I left, so I stopped and picked up lunch for me and for Mom--a salad for me, chicken strips for Mom.

I was at her place until around 2 PM. We had to fill out some paperwork for the real estate agent regarding the sale of her house. I stopped at the UPS Store to fax them, then had to get gas in my car. My AC stopped working in the car a couple of days ago, and it is soooo hot!

Josh and Cyrise took Camryn by the hospital for her PKU test this evening, so I kept Reece and Aubrey while they did that. They stopped at the store and to get something to eat, so the kids were here until around 9 PM. They were both so sweet. Reece wanted to swim, but I didn't want to hold Aubrey and supervise him in the water at the same time, so I told him we would have to wait until tomorrow. That didn't go over well, and he threw some things on the floor. I made him pick them up and he was heartbroken, thinking I was mad at him. But a hug and a cuddle and all was right with the world again. Aubrey had a bottle and took a nap, I gave Reece dinner and we played and watched Willy Wonka and "the funnies," which is what he calls Funniest Home Videos.

After the kids left, I had to run to the store to get Maggie some cat food, since she was completely out. I sure hated to have to go out again, but I can't let the fat girl go hungry. (Maggie, not me). :o) Oh wait. I have gained 10 lbs. over the past month, though, so I guess I am the fat girl after all. I think my thyroid has stopped producing any hormones now, and instead of being hyperthyroid, I'm hypothyroid. I need to call the endocrinologist and get labs done so that they can prescribe the Synthroid I'll be taking for the rest of my life. :o/ Blah, more meds.

Ron will be home tomorrow. I called a carpet guy to come and clean Mom's carpets, and of course he is coming at the same time as Ron's flight gets in, but Ron said he will take a cab home. It's always something, as Roseanne Rosannadanna would say.

One of my cousins, much younger than me, has had a heart attack and will have a quadruple bypass tomorrow morning. Please send up a prayer for Jimi, her doctors and her family. Thanks so much!

Good night.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

My doctor has me on Metformin and my highest reading was about 110. IMHO that is not high for an overweight 63 year old. I hate the Metformin but I have lost some weight.

What are your readings? (if you don't mind saying so). I understand if you don't want to say...

Adrienne said...

Also - look into Alpha Lipoic Acid for diabetes...

Kalona said...

Adrienne, I would be happy if my readings were 110! I've been keeping a log for the past month, and the highest reading has been 215, the lowest 78. I test sometimes before I eat, sometimes after, but the average is around 180. Not good. 78 is a normal reading, but I feel weird whenever I'm below 100 because I'm so used to the high sugar level. The counselor assures me that I'll get used to the lower levels, though.

He put me on a slow release Met, and I'm to take both tabs at the same time, and he added Zocor (I think that's the name). My readings today have been 119 and 105, much better than usual. He also put me on meds for high cholesterol. I already take something for high blood pressure and for rapid heart rate. I'm a mess. :o/

I'll look into the Alpha Lipoic Acid. Thanks!