Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Puppies Have Names!

Introducing Katy and Sister. Katy is named after Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha and Sister was named by Reece. They are just precious.

I didn't want to name them until I met them, and even then it took awhile to decide. Because they were found by a member of the DCF board, all of whom are wild about puppies, I think of them as the DCF puppies. I thought Catholic names would be good, but I wanted them to be simple and easy for my grandbabies to say. :o)

Reece named Sister last night. I thought I heard him call her "Sister," so I picked her up and said, "Reece, who is this?" And he said, "Sister." It fits her on several levels. I was looking for a Catholic name. "Sister" is very Catholic. It's also very "Texas." :o) And the puppies are twin sisters. Perfect!

When I asked Reece what the other puppy's name was, he said, "Camryn." (His baby sister's name). I laughed and said we couldn't call the puppy Camryn, what else should we call her, and he answered, "Doggie." :o)

We had a sort of tradition of naming our pets Cherokee names. My daughter's cat was Usdi ("baby" or "little" in Cherokee), and our black lab was Chooch, which is a phonetic way of spelling the common pronunciation of the Cherokee word for boy, "atsutsa." I figured we were sort of following the tradition, although Kateri was not Cherokee, she is Native American. And it fits my criteria--Catholic, simple and easy to pronounce. And it sounds good with "Sister."

In the top two photos, Katy is on the left, Sister on the right. In the bottom two, that's Sister on the patio and Katy in the grass. Different lighting makes one look dark, the other light, but they are both coal black.

I've been really busy with them and other things, and didn't get any pics of them yesterday with Kelly's dogs or with Reece when he was here overnight. But it was amazing to watch Darcy and Banzai, who are usually extremely high energy and excited by other dogs, calm down and gently get to know the puppies. They were so sweet with them! And today at Mom's, Teddy was the same way. It's as if they instinctively know that they are babies and need to be treated gently.

Reece loves them. The first thing he wanted to do this morning was get them out of their crate. It's so cute to see how he watches them and wants to be with them. We slept downstairs on the sectional last night so that we would be close to them. They were very good. I woke up about 3:30 AM because they were whining. I took them outside to "do their numbers," and put them right back in the crate when we came inside. They whined for a minute, but as soon as I turned off the lamp, they went right back to sleep.

Of course Kelly is crazy about them already. She went with me to pick them up, and held them on her lap all the way home, even though we brought a box for them. She stayed with us into the evening, giving them lots of love and attention and bonding with them. We had left her dogs here in the yard, so they got to know the puppies, too. Her husband got to meet the puppies when he came to pick up Kel and the dogs.

Josh came by after work, and the first thing he did was pick them both up and put them up to his face, nose to nose. It was so cute. He brought Reece and the rest of the family over later, and Aubrey and Cyrise liked the puppies, too. Camryn doesn't care yet. :o)

Of course Mom loved them! Josh picked Reece up this morning, and after showering (I smelled like puppies) I took them over to see her. Teddy was so sweet with them, and Mom couldn't get over their cute factor. :o)

I finally had a few minutes when we got back from Mom's this afternoon, so I took them outside and took a few photos. They were tired, though, and wanted to go inside. Now they are snoozing in their crate, which they already know is their "den." They seem content and happy.

The only one who is not happy with the newcomers is Maggie Cat. She is seriously ticked.

10 comments:

MentalMom said...

What great pictures!!!!
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see those sweet little girls with such a great family. I know they will have a long, happy life filled with love and they will give back just as much I am sure.
Katie and Sister. That is great!
So which one is which? And have you seen the same personality differences I did?

Kalona said...

Thanks, K. :o) Katy is the out-going, more dominant girly. Sister is a bit laid back, a little more timid. Yes, I can surely see their distinct personalities. They are both so precious. Thank you again!

Therese said...

oh Kalona they are just precious. Enjoy your puppies.

Kelly said...

Great pics! Take a LOT of pictures of them while they are still sooooo puppy-ish because they grow so fast!!

I love their way their ears have wavy curls like little pretty girls. :)

JoAnnC. said...

Those two are the cutest puppies I've ever seen! I love their names! Enjoy your new additions to the family! (I'll be bracing my self for uber-cute grandkid/puppy pics in the future!)

Kalona said...

Ha! JoAnn, you know me well. :o)

Tanya said...

Awwww!!! I loved reading the story of how you got those darling puppies! I saw Karen's post on DCF...what a happy ending!

They look like my Luke (a golden retriever) did as a puppy, only black! He is now 20 mos. old and still thinks he's a puppy...a puppy in a 65-lb. body! LOL

Congratulations! You & your family are going to have so much fun. I think it's neat that you took both puppies and they will have each other. I wish I could see them "IRL"! They are precious!

Kalona said...

Kelly, I'll try to take lots of pictures. They are keeping me so busy that I forget to get the camera!

Therese, thank you. They are so much fun!

Blondie, next time you're in SA let me know. You are welcome to come visit!

MentalMom said...

i think my cat has finally forgiven me for having them in the house. he was cracking me up Friday morning. They were asleep and he walked in a huuuuuge circle around them to get to his food, hissing at them the whole time. It was hysterical since they were sound asleep. It was the first time he had eaten in a couple days. He holed up in the office and wouldn't come out because of the eeeevil puppies. Dumb cat.

Kalona said...

Maggie is still mad, but she is coming around. She will come in to see me now, and she never stopped eating. We had to move her bowl and water dish into the dining room, though. She had hidden herself away in one of the spare bedrooms where she likes to sleep on the window sill. She hisses at them too, but so far she has left them alone. They were interested in seeing her, but when she hissed and puffed up, they backed away and came to me. :o)