Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday Chitchat

It's hot here. Ron decided to take the car in to have the AC repaired this morning. I followed him to the dealer and he left it, then I drove him to work in the truck. He called earlier to tell me it's going to cost $800. Grrr. I hate having to spend money on car repairs.

After I dropped him off at work I went to BAMC for my lab tests to see if my thyroid has stopped working yet. The lab guy checked the computer and asked if I wanted the diabetes labs done, too. I said I didn't know I was scheduled for diabetes labs. I guess the counselor ordered them when I was there last week, but either he forgot to tell me or I forgot he told me. Anyway, it was fortunate that I hadn't eaten anything yet, because they are fasting labs, so I had those done, too. The little lab tech guy was drawing the blood, and saw me looking at the tubes and said, "Are you all right, Ma'am?" Guess he thinks I'm some kind of swooning lily. Not likely. :o)

I called Mom from the parking lot to remind her about her dentist appointment. She was still asleep, and I didn't give her much time, but she can get ready fast when she has to. I stopped and picked up breakfast tacos for the two of us on the way to her place. By then I was starving. We ate in a hurry and made it to her appointment just in time.

She is getting a new upper partial, and had the impressions done for that today. She is a trouper at the dentist, never complains and does just what he asks. They took the impression four times, because the goop they use wasn't setting up correctly.

When we got back to her place I browned some hamburger and cooked some onions to put in the beans we had put in the crockpot last night. Added a can of diced tomatoes and some salt, pepper and hot pepper seasoning. It made a lot. She will be eating beans for a week! I took a bowl of them to her next door neighbor who had brought something to Mom in a pretty little crockery bowl. We don't like to return dishes empty. (Pic of crock pot beans from the internet).

Mom had broken her can opener somehow, and I had to go next door to ask the same neighbor if she would open the tomatoes for us. She said, "Come in and look. I have something that has been waiting for just this moment." She had picked up a nearly new electric can opener at the thrift store for $1.50, and gave me her old one for Mom. It still worked perfectly, and looked nice. Serendipity. ;o) Mom has the sweetest neighbors.

I got home around 2, and that's been my day so far. Ron called to let me know that he got a ride home, so I won't have to pick him up. Yay, I'm glad for that!

No comments: