Monday, February 2, 2009

Sweet February


When I was a kid in school, the teachers would change the bulletin board each month. I liked February's bulletin board best of all. The background would usually be red, or maybe white, and there would be black paper silhouettes of Presidents George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and red hearts and cupids.

My little sister's birthday is in February, as well as the birthdays of dear friends. I look forward to Valentine's Day and our wedding anniversary. Even when it's cold and dreary outside, there's something cozy and happy about this month.

Today is Candlemas Day. I'm going to light lots of candles (I love a good excuse to light lots of candles) and mail some birthday cards. Next week I'll make some valentines and mail them, and bake sugar cookie hearts with pink frosting with Reece. I'm not sure yet how Ron and I will celebrate our anniversary. It's our 40th, so we should do something special. Shrove Tuesday is February 24 this year--chocolate chip pancakes for supper!

February can be a depressing, blue month if we allow it. So make some yummy chicken soup and homemade bread, light some candles, buy some tulips for your desk or kitchen table, watch a romantic comedy, listen to your favorite music, read (or write) some poetry. And remember, it's a short month, and Spring will be here soon.

3 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

I like your February attitude: positively positive and FUN! May Our Lord bless your marriage ever more with many more happy and healthy years!!

I, too, love candles. I went to a Gold Canyon party a few days ago and my order is "in" so I'm going to pick it up at 3 today. I'm always lighting up candles, too. I think I'll clear off my counter (island) and light up all my tealights (the cheap ones from Michaels). I have to use up stuff like that before we move to HI.

Kalona said...

Thank you for the blessing, Sarah. :o) Enjoy your candles!

Linda said...

Happy Anniversary!
I looked forward to candlemas, and then missed it. sigh.

Thanks for the uplifting words. Even with this beautiful weather, I was starting to get down.

We also have chocolate chip pancakes on 'fat Tuesday', along with many other kinds. Enjoy yours!