Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Commemoration Of St. Blaise, Bishop and Martyr

St. Blaise, bishop of Sebaste, was beheaded after terrible torments, under Licinius, A.D. 317. (1962 Roman Missal)

Today is the day for the Blessing Of Throats in the Catholic Church. If I had known about my renegade thyroid last year, I'd have hustled to church to have my throat blessed. I may go today, but Wednesday is the day I'm scheduled for the radioactive iodine treatment. Wouldn't it be a miracle if my thyroid was healed overnight and I didn't have to have the procedure?

Wondering why St. Blaise is the patron saint of throats? You can read all about him and other saints in the medieval book of saints by Jacobus de Voragine, The Golden Legend. It is online here.

1 comment:

Sarah - Kala said...

If I didn't think I'd infect everyone with my lung rot, I'd got to Mass today and beg a blessing!