Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gran's Garden

Mom and I worked a bit in her little garden plot this morning. We staked her tomato plants which were leaning from the weight of the two tomatoes on each plant. We did some weeding, watered, and picked some of her spinach. That light green stuff barely coming up is lettuce. We're going to plant some carrots too, if it's not too late. It's not a big garden, but it's just the right size for her to take care of, and she enjoys the veggies from it.

We used some of the spinach we picked to make a big salad for her lunch, along with red leaf lettuce, a green onion and tuna. She really enjoyed it, and it was nice knowing that it was all totally natural--no pesticides or growth hormones.

This is Mom and Chuy at the gazebo next to the garden. She is holding old knee highs that we used to tie the tomato plants to the stakes.

Yes, we watered those pitiful impatiens in flower box. I think it's time to trim them back. Mom has some on her patio in flower boxes that got leggy and we gave them a burr haircut. They came back prettier than ever. Her patio is way in the background where the ferns are hanging. I meant to take a picture of it today, but forgot to do it. She and her neighbor both have ferns and window boxes, and they look so pretty.

2 comments:

JoAnnC. said...

That is a lovely little garden for a true Southern lady! I LOVE it AND I'm jealous because I'm still waiting for my spinach to sprout!

Kalona said...

Thanks, Joann. Mom has always said that Dad had the green thumb, not her, but all of her plants on the patio and in the garden have been thriving. The garden brings back memories for Mom, of her grandmother. I've been enjoying the stories she's recalled about my great-grandmother and her garden.