Tuesday, November 18, 2008

First Day of Pre-School

And I forgot to take pictures. :o(

But it was fun. It didn't take long, which is good because Reece is like a butterfly, touching here and there for brief moments and then flying away to the next thing.

He liked the poem I read to him several times at the beginning of the lesson. I didn't expect that. I didn't think he would really listen, but he did. :o)

He also liked the stories. I didn't find all of the books recommended, but I gathered several that had the same theme (how God made you and loves you). We used three of them today, and I'll read all of them to him throughout the week.

He loved making his handprints with watercolors, but wasn't much interested in looking at himself in the mirror and answering questions about his name, the color of his hair and eyes, etc. And we didn't have a tape recorder to record his voice so that he could hear what he sounds like. I'll do that with him later in the week.

He watched me do the finger play, but didn't want to do it himself. It was a poem and motions about eyes, ears, nose, hands, feet, etc. So I touched his eyes, ears, etc. while repeating the poem, and that was okay with him. :o)

All in all, I think he enjoyed it. I told him that we were going to "play school," to get him interested.

Aubrey enjoyed it, too. She sat in her seat and watched every move we made, especially what Reece was doing. He kept looking down at her and smiling at her. It was so sweet. I was afraid that she would be unhappy and disturb the lesson, but she was perfectly content to be with us.

I've discovered that I have to have everything at my fingertips. If I have to leave the room to go fetch something, Reece loses interest and wanders away. I may spread things out a bit in the next lesson, so that he can do one activity, play a bit, then come back to the next. I'm not sure how that will work, but I suppose the first few weeks will be a learning experience for both of us. :o)

The picture above is from a few days ago. I was folding laundry and Reece was "helping." :o) He loves to stack things, and that's what he was doing with the washcloths. His daddy told me that he was stacking pieces of hot dog during lunch one day.

I'm excited to do the next lesson with him!

2 comments:

Therese said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun too Kalona. I hope Reece continues to enjoy learning with you. How great that you have such a close relationship with him and Aubrey.

Therese

Kalona said...

I'm so blessed to be a part of their lives, Therese. Their mom just started a part-time job, so I will have them with me for a few days a week, for four or five hours. I love it! It gives me real bonding time with them.