Saturday, October 18, 2008

Peripheral Vertigo

After spending hours in the ER at BAMC (Brooke Army Medical Center) today (and tonight), I have a diagnosis for my dizziness--peripheral vertigo.

BAMC is a military trauma and training hospital, and it takes forever to go through triage and get to a doctor. But they are very thorough once you get there.

I had the usual blood pressure, heart rate, blood sugar tests done first, then waited all afternoon. The doctors I saw did some simple tests to make sure I hadn't had a stroke, asked a million questions, and sent me for a CT scan of my head. I thought that probably my BP or my sugar level was what was causing the dizziness, but now I suspect that they were high because of the vertigo and stress I've had from the experience.

They gave me meclazine and waited to see how I would react. It did help, but I still have some slight dizziness. Ron will pick up a prescription for me in the morning. I'm praying it works!

Anyway, I'll see my doctor on the 28th and see if he can discover a cause for the peripheral vertigo. Prayers that it will just go away would be greatly appreciated!

6 comments:

Therese said...

many prayers Kalona. I am glad they know what it is though.

Anne said...

Just passing by and came across your blog. Hope your feeling better and sorry you had to cancel your road trip. Hope your feeling better soon.

Kalona said...

Thank you Therese and peek-a-boo street! I appreciate the prayers and good thoughts.

JoAnnC. said...

Praying here, too!

Kalona said...

Thank you for your prayers, Joann!

Anonymous said...

So very sorry to hear about your diagnosis Kalona. Please let me know how you are doing. I was told I have Peripheral Vertigo in 2004. Sending prayers your way!

All the best to you and your family. on_solid_ground