Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday Chitchat

It's beautiful here today, and I'm sitting on the patio sipping peach tea as I blog. Do you like my hat? :o)

My doctor called yesterday to say that Tuesday's lab tests showed that my platelets are quite low, but that is what we expected. He does want to keep a close eye on them, though, so I had to go back for more labs this morning. He said my white counts actually look quite good, because of the Neulasta they gave me.

I stopped at Taco Cabana on the way to Mom's to pick up chicken fajita nachos for our lunch. She likes Taco Cabana. I've had a pretty good appetite, but have lost some weight anyway.

Then I stopped at Josh's on my way home, so that he could have the truck this afternoon. Reece came out to say hello, and it was so good to hug him and play with him for a few minutes. He was pretending to fish with a little branch he picked up in the yard, and caught a pretend fish that was a blade of grass. We are hoping that his cold is over so that he can come and spend the night soon!

We're expecting hot, sunny weather for the Memorial Day weekend. Ron is taking off Friday, so he will have a four day weekend. We'll have the kids here for the postponed birthday celebration on Sunday after Mass. I'm sure they will want to swim and play outside. It will be a lovely start to summer. How will you celebrate Memorial Day?

11 comments:

X said...

Kalona - you look wonderful! Really, I am not just saying that to make you feel better!

We don't celebrate Memorial Day in Canada - we have Remembrance Day on Nov. 11 but it's not as big as anything the States puts on. I envy Americans their patriotism.

Kalona said...

Angela, thank you! It did make me feel better, though. :o)

Memorial Day is a special day here. It's become a day to remember all of our dead, not just our military members.

In some places, especially in the South, people celebrate "Decoration Day," sometimes on Memorial Day, or sometimes on another day around that time. They go to the cemetery and decorate the graves of their loved ones with flowers, or flags for the military. And of course there are ceremonies, parades, band concerts, picnics, barbecues, etc. It can be poignant, but it's also fun. :o)

H F J said...

You look lovely!
I have no big plans for the weekend. On Monday, the kids and I will do a picnic. I have a special color pages for them for Mermorial Day. If I get an hour or so to myself, I want to go to my Memaw & Pawpaw's graves.

Kalona said...

D, thank you!

A picnic with your precious little ones sounds like a wonderful plan to me. Tell them I still have the wonderful pictures they colored for me on my fridge, and look at them every day.

I hope you get a chance to visit your grandparents' graves. I know you are still grieving your Memaw, and pray that God will comfort you. Hugs!

Therese said...

I love the hat Kalona.

Have a great long weekend. We have one coming up in June to celebrate the Queens birthday. Looking forward to having a long weekend.

Kori said...

Aunt Sharon - I love your hat!
Hope Reese is better soon. Have a happy memorial day weekend! Love you! Kori

Kalona said...

Therese, thank you; the hat is one that Kelly got for me when we first learned about the cancer. I like it, too--it has good coverage. :o)

What fun to have a country-wide birthday celebration for the queen!

Kalona said...

Kori, thank you! Josh said that Reece is much better today--no runny nose. :o) They are going to come to swim this afternoon, and he may spend the night. Yay!

Have a wonderful weekend. We are so excited for you about the new baby boy!

Love you!

Sarah Oldham said...

The hat is great and you are smashing, dahling, smashing!!!!

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Kalona said...

Sarah, thank you, dahling! :o)

X said...

Decoration Day sounds like Independence Day - a holiday that I have always enjoyed very much when visiting the States.