Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Running From The Scary Bear

I love this picture. :o)

One of Reece's favorite games is The Scary Bear. I always have to be the scary bear, with big sharp teeth and long sharp claws. He runs from me and I "chase" him. He calls the grape arbor "the cave," and likes to run there to hide. If I get too close, he doesn't know whether he is thrilled or scared. It's so cute! He usually throws himself into my arms for a hug, abandoning the scary bear for Gramma.

A variation of the game is The Mean Dog. I think the mean dog came from the scenes with the mean dogs in the movie Up. Reece never wants to be the mean dog or the scary bear.

When I was little, my dad would crawl around on his hands and knees and scare us. It was so exciting--scary and fun all at the same time. I'm sure that's the feeling Reece has when we play.

Reece usually spends the night on Tuesdays, but I have an early appointment at Wilford Hall tomorrow, so he won't be here tonight. He spends the night on Fridays, too, but this Friday I will go back to the hospital early in the morning for my second round of chemo. I'll be there for a couple of days, so I won't see him then either. It's hard to have to give up our special times together, for him and for me.

Meanwhile, I'll keep fighting my own "scary bear" so that some day soon we won't have to be apart because I'll be well and can play, just like always, with all my grandkids.

No comments: