Monday, May 24, 2010

Grrrrr!

I just got back from Mom's. I was out on her patio watering her plants. I had gone in and out several times with containers of water, and went to water the two planter boxes on the left side of the patio. They were not there! Someone stole them last night. Ooooh, it makes me so mad!

Mom didn't see or hear anything, but I stopped at her next door neighbor's on my way out, and she saw the thieves, and even chased after them and talked to one of them!

She said that it was a group of four "older teenagers," and that they had been swimming in the pool (illegally). She said that she saw a shadow on her window blinds, heard some giggling and talking, and opened her patio door. They had already taken the two planter boxes and were about to get the other two when she said, "What do you think you're doing?" They yelled, "Run! Come on!" and ran away.

J went back through her apartment to her front door and saw them running through the breezeway out to the parking lot. One girl was pushing a baby stroller with towels over it, and she was lagging behind. (J didn't see whether or not there was a baby in the stroller. It was probably something to hold the loot they stole). Mom's neighbor followed her, asking "Why are you stealing a sweet old lady's plants?" The others were yelling at the girl to hurry up, and she said she couldn't get the stroller wheels over the curb. They ran to the end of the building and disappeared around the corner. J heard a car start up and the squealing of tires, so she thinks they drove away in a hurry. It's possible that they were visiting someone at the complex, but I doubt it.

The pool closes at 10 PM, and no one is allowed in it anyway unless they are with a resident. Mom's apartment faces the pool, and since it's on the ground floor, is accessible to any creep who wants to steal something. I wish I had been there with my gun. I wouldn't have shot them, but I've had scared the hell out of them. Grrrrr!

Mom is hard of hearing, but I'm surprised that Teddy didn't have a barking fit. She has her TV on so loud, though, that he may not have heard them.

Okay, vent over, blood pressure starting to go down. Josh and his family are coming over to swim this afternoon. That makes me feel happier.

3 comments:

Sarah Oldham said...

I think they are nicking the plants to be mean ('cos they can), you know? Otherwise it's senseless and stupid and mean!!!!!! Dernit.

I don't have any suggestions other than to file a police report . . . what's next would be my question?

Kalona said...

Sarah, I talked to the people at the apartment complex office today. Mom's neighbor had also reported what happened. They always want to know if something happens, but they are really no help. They always say to call the police. If Mom's neighbor had called the police when she saw them in the pool trespassing, they might have come out and told them to leave. But usually they wait until something really bad happens before they come out. :o(

Mom took down her planter box holder today and said she didn't know what to do with it. I told her we were going to get her some new plants and boxes and put it back up. We're not going to let the baddies spoil the little things that make life enjoyable.

Mom's lease is up in November. We may think about moving her then if things don't improve at the complex.

Linda said...

"scared the hell out of them." I like that!
I would move my mama. It gripes me that 'kids' think that taking things is fun. What else? Making an elderly lady cry? I don't mean to scare you, but I think people who would stoop to stealing for fun will become bored with that and have to move up a step. I'm sorry you and your mama go through this.