Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stardust Memories

I made a little pocket memory shrine for my mom for Mother's Day. It's tiny--about 2" by 2 1/2".

Stardust was my mom and dad's song. When I was little, Mom had a little round blue metal powder box/music box that Dad had given her. I used to love to wind it up to hear Stardust.

The pictures inside show my dad on the left, and Mom and Dad together on the right. They were married in 1946. They didn't quite make it to their 50th wedding anniversary before my dad died of leukemia in 1992.

Their marriage was sometimes tumultuous, and though they tried a couple of times, they could not live without each other.

The most important lesson I learned from their marriage is that you don't give up when things go wrong. You keep on loving one another, and work it out if it's at all possible.

I've been hearing Stardust in my head all day today. :o)

7 comments:

Kelly said...

She's going to love it!

Kalona said...

Thanks, honey. I hope she will!

Sarah Oldham said...

It's beautiful!

MentalMom said...

you up for a short visit today?

K-

Kalona said...

Yes. I'm leaving for Mom's now, but will be back in about 1 PM. What time will you be here?

MentalMom said...

4ish??

Kalona said...

Perfect! Looking forward to seeing you then. Do you need directions?