Sunday, May 16, 2010

Second Chemo Cycle Is Done

Lyssa and Lily at the Rockport Beach. Reasons to live. :o)

I went into the hospital on Friday for my second cycle of chemo. This time it was Rituxan first, then four doses of Cytarabine (also known as Ara-C) over two days. I had an allergic reaction to the Rituxan, even though they gave me pre-meds including Benedryl beforehand. I felt awful, as if I had barbed wire in my throat, my ears were itchy, and I had some trouble breathing. The Ara-C wasn't so bad, it just took 3 hours for each dose to be administered. Amazingly, I didn't have any nausea--so far, anyway.

I got to come home today, in the afternoon. I have to go back tomorrow so they can give me a shot of Neulasta. It has to be administered 24 hours after the last dose of chemo.

I was glad to get home and see the puppies. I played with them in the yard for a bit, then let them inside for a nap. I took a nap, too.

So far, so good. I'm doing okay. Two rounds of chemo done, four to go, then collection of stem cells from my healthy bone marrow, another high does chemo to make sure all the cancer cells are killed, then they will give me my healthy stem cells back again. My doctor is going for a complete cure. I am praying that is God's will. I know that He is with me through all of this.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

4 comments:

Sarah Oldham said...

I'm so grateful to God that He's seeing you through this. I cannot even fathom the difficulty - I mean, physically and mentally; which, would be harder w/out Faith. I'm so glad you have Faith and a positive outlook. I'm praying for your strength and dependence upon God.

May God bless you, May Mary comfort you, may Jesus be with you.

Jennifer Mulkey said...

We continue to pray for a full remission also :) The neulasta may cause some bone pain. Mine stayed mainly in my hips and legs. I used Lortab, but I'm sure your doc will be able to give you something to have on hand just in case. Mine was worse at night, it seemed, after I had been asleep for a while, I would wake up with it. But the Neulasta did what it was supposed to do and helped out alot, although my counts still fell regularly. Will be praying about this for you also :)

God Bless

Kalona said...

Thank you Sarah and Jennifer! You cannot know how much I appreciate your prayers.

Gumbo Lily said...

You are a brave woman. God bless and bring healing through this journey.

Jody