Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Japanese Dolls

Sarah mentioned in a post on her blog (that I can't locate now) that she likes Japanese kokeshi dolls, and I commented that we have some we got when we lived in Japan.

My favorite dolls are this set, called The Four Seasons. They are quite heavy for their size, and very smooth except for some subtle carving. I like their simple oval shape, the painting, and the way they feel in my hands. Aren't they sweet?

The bigger doll (in the 3rd photo) was a gift, and is actually a box. She has a screw at the back, and when opened has a "secret compartment" where you can hide treasures. :o)

I gave my very favorite kokeshi doll to my mom. She is also an oval shaped doll, and is painted with long auburn hair like I had when I was a child.

My daughter has some cute kokeshi, and the boys have some daruma, a Samurai warrior, and one that Josh said looks "po'd." (That's my Josh). :o)

The last photo is of a pair of dolls I bought at a Japanese flea market. The dolls are very old, and the detail in them is incredible. The old woman is holding a broom, and the old man's hands are made to hold something, but whatever it was is missing.They aren't in the best shape, but I like them anyway.

3 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

LOVE them. Adorable! I have a friend who has quite a few of them she acquired from friends in Japan when they were stationed there . . . they are so cute! They also have some of those scroll ones that are a nice way to congratulate or say bye with.

I really hope my man comes home with one for me . . . I think he will. If he can, he will.

I really like yours. Long ago when I worked for a Japanese company, I was impressed that they seemed to like Vivaldi so much. The Four Seasons!

Kalona said...

Thanks, Sarah. If you get a chance to talk to (or email) your DH, a little reminder wouldn't hurt. :o)

Mahou said...

Wow, those dolls are cute!
I recently got some from a relative that she had when she was a little girl (she's born in 1943 I believe) and I really like them!

This makes me want to go buy more!